When gaming, monitors (2) will flash to blue, black, blue. Both screens come back up but all sound is lost..

Status
Not open for further replies.

zakrauto

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
...but if I continue to use my computer a while later it will go through the sequence again and I will have sound back. This has happened 3 days in a row. I am playing wow on my primary screen and running youtube or discord or psvue on the second monitor after work.

Typical play sessions range from 45 minutes to 2 hours. There does not seem to be a timing to when it happens. Yesterday I had been playing wow and using discord on a tab on chrome. There was a second tab open but it is just the google homepage. It's always open in case I need to look something up.

The day prior to that I had only been on for about 20 to 30 minutes with wow on the primary screen and youtube on the second screen when the sequence happened. I was in a group so I stayed on and about 10 to 15 minutes later the sequence happened again and I regained sound.

I did run a malwarebytes scan (free version) and did a glary utilities scan (free version). The glary scan had temp files and such to clean up as it always does but nothing stood out as when I ran the scan a second time, it said everything was good. The malwarebytes scan came back negative also. I only run it once.

Tonight I had been on for about an hour when the sequence happened. This time there was an error popup on wow after the sequence that said something along the lines of "3d graphics accelerator has failed" and the game closed.

I googled and was led to this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3636562/screen-black-sound-computer-restarts.html and it seems to have had a very similar issue but not quite the same. I am not computer savvy and have no intentions of messing with registry files.

I started this thread and the dog needed to be walked. When I returned approximately 20 to 25 minutes had elapsed from the sequence, the sound was back. I do not know for certain that the computer went through the sequence again but I assume it did. Any advice?

This pc is just about 2 years old. I think I built it in August of '16.

Edit: Computer specs.

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 6500 @ 3.20GHz 26 °C
Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1066MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. H170-Gaming 3 (U3E1) 30 °C
Graphics
WXGA TV (1360x768@60Hz)
HP w1907 (1440x900@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (EVGA) 39 °C
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0 (SATA ) 29 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653Q
Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

zakrauto

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018

EDIT: I have an EVGA 600w power supply. It has the number 80 in large font. It is not a bronze or anything of the like.

I will get you that information tonight when I get home. I did not think to check that when listing the computer specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.