When gaming, temps usually in 70s but random spikes up to 95+ oC (safe?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

potswimming

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
Hi there! I've got a MSI GS63VR 6RF Stealth Pro that I got about a year and a half ago. It's got an i7-6700HQ and GTX 1060, and I know both are designed to reach temps of 100 oC (I've heard 105 even) but I want to keep it significantly lower than that, meaning I tend not to play games at the highest settings, even if my CPU can probably keep up. Anyway, I'll use Overwatch as an example, since a hectic match can raise my numbers by several degrees depending on where I am in the middle of a chaotic battle. I've got the in-game temp censor giving me a pretty constant 65 oC, and I use Open Hardware Monitor (OHM) on top of that, usually giving me slightly higher numbers (in the 70s.) But every time I check OHM's log to look at the max temps my machine has hit, I usually see that at least one of the CPU cores has exceeded 90 oC. My laptop isn't hot to the touch during any of this, so I'm assuming it's probably a really brief spike...

But is it safe to have spikes like these? Also, I know In searching for an answer, I keep coming across this question but pertaining to constant temperatures, not spikes like mine. Is it normal to have spikes like this? Or should I dial my settings back until I no longer see 90s if I want to keep my laptop for a while? Thank you :)

Solution
I consider 85c to be hot; 95c is extremely hot and dangerous.

Short of attempting to replace the thermal paste with something good like IC Diamond, I would disable Turbo Boost to prevent the CPU from going above 2.6GHz.

The following article provide a few ways to disable Turbo Boost.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20170213/how-to-disable-intel-turbo-boost-technology-on-a-notebook/
I consider 85c to be hot; 95c is extremely hot and dangerous.

Short of attempting to replace the thermal paste with something good like IC Diamond, I would disable Turbo Boost to prevent the CPU from going above 2.6GHz.

The following article provide a few ways to disable Turbo Boost.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20170213/how-to-disable-intel-turbo-boost-technology-on-a-notebook/

Solution

potswimming

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
Thanks! I set the max processor to 99% and it seems to have gone down, but at some point I still hit 90 apparently when testing in a particularly wild custom game setting, . But right now, I've got a game in progress that I win-key'd out of, am running Firefox, and I'm seeing mid-60s into 70s for the most part. I've heard that in Overwatch specifically, a few splash transitions and such set the GPU into a bit of a frenzy, usually at the very end of the map. Anyway, these extra degees really help!

Status
Not open for further replies.