[SOLVED] When gpu is in top slot pc turns on but no picture no signal on monitor

Dec 9, 2019
Ok so for a while now I have been playing with a i7 8700k with a rog strix z270h gaming motherboard with a Radeon 5700 xt gpu but have been getting very poor frames I think this is because the gpu is in the bottom slot but every time I try to put the gpu in the top slot the gpu and pc fire up as normal but then I get no signal on the monitor when I plug out and in the hdmi/ display port cables the monitor lights up meaning it’s getting some sort of input? Nothing is broken that I know of unless the top slot is broken but then why is the gpu working ? One thing that happened is when I tried it in the top slot first the pc started then instantly stopped then started again. Do I need a new mobo?? Thanks for any help in advance

Solution
ROG STRIX Z270H Gaming User's Manual Ref: Pg 1-2.

When the graphics card is installed in the slot labelled PCIEX16/X8_1, the display is connected to the graphics card and you're not getting a signal, this indicates a problem with either the expansion slot or the graphics card.

When the graphics card is installed in the slot labelled PCIEX8_2, the display is connected to the graphics card and you ARE getting a signal, this indicates the problem is with the PCIEX16/X8_1 expansion slot.

What I would do at this point is remove the graphics card completely from the system and connect your display to the motherboard output and reboot your system. Once your system is up and running, go ahead and shut it back down. Remove the power...
Dec 9, 2019
The graphics card is supposed to be installed in the top PCI-Ex16 slot. Are you connecting your display to the graphics card output or the motherboard output? It should be connected to the graphics card.

-Wolf sends
So I have the manual for the board here and the slot I have it in is labelled “PCIE_x16/x8_1 slot” and the one I had it in previously which is the one that worked Is labelled “PCIE_x8_2 slot” is this any help? And I’m connecting the display to the graphics card output. Thankyou

Wolfshadw

Titan

When the graphics card is installed in the slot labelled PCIEX16/X8_1, the display is connected to the graphics card and you're not getting a signal, this indicates a problem with either the expansion slot or the graphics card.

When the graphics card is installed in the slot labelled PCIEX8_2, the display is connected to the graphics card and you ARE getting a signal, this indicates the problem is with the PCIEX16/X8_1 expansion slot.

What I would do at this point is remove the graphics card completely from the system and connect your display to the motherboard output and reboot your system. Once your system is up and running, go ahead and shut it back down. Remove the power cable from the back of the power supply and press the power button on your PC several times.

Remove the CMOS battery for a minute or so to reset the default settings.

Replace the CMOS battery, reconnect the power cable to the power supply, and boot your system once more to make sure all is still running normally.

Shut down your computer once more and install the graphics card in the PCIEX16/X8_1 expansion slot. Connect your display to the graphics card once more and power your system up.

If at this point you still do not get a display, I'd say your expansion slot is faulty and the motherboard should be replaced.

-Wolf sends

Solution
Dec 9, 2019

What I would do at this point is remove the graphics card completely from the system and connect your display to the motherboard output and reboot your system. Once your system is up and running, go ahead and shut it back down. Remove the power cable from the back of the power supply and press the power button on your PC several times.

Remove the CMOS battery for a minute or so to reset the default settings.

Replace the CMOS battery, reconnect the power cable to the power supply, and boot your system once more to make sure all is still running normally.

Shut down your computer once more and install the graphics card in the PCIEX16/X8_1 expansion slot. Connect your display to the graphics card once more and power your system up.

If at this point you still do not get a display, I'd say your expansion slot is faulty and the motherboard should be replaced.

-Wolf sends
Ok thanks a million for helping will give it a go