Question When I boot games, about 50% of the time my computer crashes and then reboots.

landonbaker5

Prominent
Feb 5, 2020
When I boot games, about 50% of the time my computer crashes and then reboots. It is especially common when I am playing a game on Steam.

I recently got a new Graphics Card, and never had this problem before this one.

I've read several forums that have said it could be the PSU, but I've got a Fatal1ty 1000w PSU, so I have trouble believing that that is the problem as that is more than enough to power my PC and has been for years.

This all started about a week ago, and I've had the new card for over a month now.

A little confused what is going on. I have tested my RAM already and it came back clean as well, so I know that's not the issue.

Any thoughts?

Full system specs would have helped.

If I am not mistaken, that PSU is old. It was released around 2012. Age degradation is a thing and PSUs are vulnerable to it. I do suspect the PSU as well but with the full system specs I may change my mind.
It does not hurt to try another PSU to be sure.

landonbaker5

Prominent
Feb 5, 2020
Mobo - gigabyte x79 UP4
Graphics Card - GForce GTX 1070ti
PSU - Fatal1ty 1000kw
Processor - Ivy Bridge 3770k
Ram - Can't remember, know it's G.Skill though
Cooling is done by 6 fans in the case, which is a Cougar. Don't know the model.

It just seems strange to me that the power would have an issue all of a sudden. I don't have another PSU, so I'd have to go buy another to check that.

I am going to try another graphics card this afternoon to clear that from the suspect list.

My HDD is also about 7 years old, but I don't think that would be the issue here.

landonbaker5

Prominent
Feb 5, 2020
1070ti was used in a mining rig before I got it for probably a year or so.

Old card was a GeForce GTX 1050ti 4GB - that one didn't plug directly into the PSU, it piggy backed off of the mobo.

Idle temp on the 1070 is 39c