Question When I connect all cables,monitor shows "VGA No signal", does that mean power supply is working properly?

terryvalencia

Commendable
Jun 1, 2020
It's a computer not laptop. It's an old computer that I'm trying to revive so that I can learn linux. But when I push the power on button of CPU, it doesn't turn on.

kaleem104

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
If the monitor says no signal, it means that either your cable isn't connected, could be damaged, check the pins on the cable and see if any of them are damaged. Lastly if could also be the PC isn't powering on properly, if the computer itself isn't on and sending out a video signal, there is no signal for the monitor to receive. If it's the PC itself, try checking for any indication to determine if its turning on or not. For example: do you hear any fans, hard drive trying to spin up, beeps, usually signals from motherboard if there is an issue. If there are beeps you can google the particular pattern you hear and can find information on what's going wrong.

But most importantly, why are you doing this? do you want to learn to fix and old PC or simply learn linux? If you are interested in just learning linux, you can save yourself time and money by either buying a rasberry pi or even better, running linux on a virtual machine. Virtualbox from oracle or Vagrant Cloud from Hashicorp are both free and pretty good ways to run linux inside of another computer when you need it and turn it off when you don't as easy as closing an application.

terryvalencia

Commendable
Jun 1, 2020
If the monitor says no signal, it means that either your cable isn't connected, could be damaged, check the pins on the cable and see if any of them are damaged. Lastly if could also be the PC isn't powering on properly, if the computer itself isn't on and sending out a video signal, there is no signal for the monitor to receive. If it's the PC itself, try checking for any indication to determine if its turning on or not. For example: do you hear any fans, hard drive trying to spin up, beeps, usually signals from motherboard if there is an issue. If there are beeps you can google the particular pattern you hear and can find information on what's going wrong.

But most importantly, why are you doing this? do you want to learn to fix and old PC or simply learn linux? If you are interested in just learning linux, you can save yourself time and money by either buying a rasberry pi or even better, running linux on a virtual machine. Virtualbox from oracle or Vagrant Cloud from Hashicorp are both free and pretty good ways to run linux inside of another computer when you need it and turn it off when you don't as easy as closing an application.
Monitor works as a dual monitor setup.
Fan doesn't start up, the button in PC where you "push" to turn on the PC doesn't turn on at all.
Learn linux is what I want.
Laptop isn't powerful enough to fluently run virtual machine.
Rasperberry pi costs 250$ to bring it here in my country, it's out of my reach. I can perhaps get an equivalent 2nd hand or maybe 1st hand PC for that price.

Sep 25, 2022
When a monitor is connected to multiple devices like cables and a power supply, it may show "VGA No signal." This usually means that the power supply is not working correctly and needs to be replaced. However, if you are phase issues with your monitor's connection or display, one standard solution is to check whether all cables were connected correctly when setting up your system. You can check if your power supply is working by plugging in another device, like a phone or computer, and seeing if the screen turns on. If it does, you know that your power supply is exemplary and should be used instead of replacing it.