When I Connect My Laptop to My TV (via HDMI) My Laptop Suddenly Upscales/By Passes Its Native Resolution to Match the TV's...

Spectre YT

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017
I was experimenting with my laptop to bypass its native resolution (my graphic card supports definitely supports a 1920 x 1080 resolution but my laptop display only supports a 1366 x 768 resolution) and so I connected my laptop to my TV (My TV supports a 1920 x 1080 resolution) via a Xbox 360 HDMI cable. However, the moment I connected my laptop to my TV with the HDMI cable, my laptop suddenly changed from its native resolution (1366 x 768) to the TV's resolution (Upscaling). This is quite strange as well because I have an intel graphics card which doesn't support this. So somehow, my laptop has bypassed its native resolution. Of course, I set the displays so they projected as a duplicate. When I unplug my laptop though, the laptop reverts to its native resolution. So it was showing 1080p when connected with the TV and now it's showing 768p when it's not connected.

Again, I am quite sure this is called upscaling as I am confident that no new pixels can be created. A laptop's display will only show the amount of pixels of its native resolution. Also, things on the laptop aren't as crystal clear (which I am fine with) but I was wondering if there was a way to recreate this phenomenon. CRU and Powerstrip didn't work though. If there is a way to do this, it would be greatly appreciated if you told me how.

My laptop is an Inspiron 15 5000:
Specs:
-i5-7200U
-Intel HD Graphics 620
-1366 x 768 Native resolution
-8GB RAM
-1TB HDD
-Windows 10 Home

Again, help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.
P.S. I have created a similar post a long time ago so please forgive me if this is repetitive to you and you already saw that post but this is a completely different question.

maruniverse7

Notable
Jan 6, 2018

This happens when projection setting is set up 2nd screen only. You can adjust this in the display settings on your computer, also try using extend projection

Spectre YT

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017
Sorry for the late reply but what I am saying is that I would like to recreate the situation so that, after my laptop is disconnected from my TV, my laptop remains in the 1080p resolution. I didn't want to make the laptop display return to its native resolution.

maruniverse7

Notable
Jan 6, 2018

Are you asking that once unplugged from TV you want it to stay that same resolution?

Spectre YT

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017

Yes.

maruniverse7

Notable
Jan 6, 2018

Thats not the way the upscale works. It then goes back to what the laptop screen is suppose to be. There for you need to use the TV as a main screen or extended to keep that resolution

Spectre YT

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017
Unfortunately, that is too inconvenient, I can't really connect my TV and laptop due to the inconvenience. Seems like there isn't a viable option or a good solution.