When i plug more than 1 ethernet cable into my router the other cables start disconnecting.

niksonrex88

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
This i think has probably something to do with the quality of the router, though because i am uneducated on this topic i decided to go here.

What happenes is when i have 1 cable in the router sending network to a single pc everything works perfect, when i connect 2 to two different computers and try to use them one of the computers start cutting out on network but not to an extent where it is unusable you cant really play online games but you can watch youtube videos.

When there are 3 cables connected the situation becomes awful. 1 pc only gets normal connection while the other 2 get almost no internet. All of them being connected with ethernet. I havent tried but im pretty sure wifi is also unusable.
1 thing i want to mention, when 1 pc is connected to ethernet the wifi works without any problems unless something is being downloaded at max speed. If i limit it to around 3-4mb/s its still fine.

Now, is this the router malfunctioning or just being weak. Or it might be that the whole package i have from my isp is insufficent to do this. From my knowledge (which is low) i think the router should split up the network resulting in it being slower but not cutting out like it does now.

I have decent network speed so im pretty sure if it got split onto 3 pc if it got equally spread out all of them would be usable. If we take download speed as an example i have around 11mb/s download speed, with that logic all of the pcs should get around 3.5mb/s
Now that is a theory cause i know nothing about this.

What i think the problem is, is just that i have a weak router. I have one of the basic cisco ones. If any of you happen to need the model number i could give it to you but rn i dont feel like searching for it.

Solution
Even weak router should be able to handle 3 devices at 10 mbit total.

BUT, one device certainly CAN overwhelm the Internet pipe depending what it's doing.

Everybody quote download speed but ignore upload. The way tcp/ip works is, upload provides acknowledgement, and so if you upload pipe is saturated, the other end just sits there waiting for you even though your download pipe is not being filled.

So what all that mumbo-jumbo means? QOS implementation recommended.

niksonrex88

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
It says its the Cisco EPC3925, when i go on the 192.168.0.1 page. Ill just copy paste some other info that could prove useful.
Bootloader Revision: 2.3.0_R1
Current Software Revision: e3925-ES-16-c1200r5593-150716c
Firmware Name: e3925-ES-16-c1200r5593-150716c.bin
Firmware Build Time: Jul 16 15:58:24 2015
Cable Modem Status: Operational
Wireless Network: Enable

Also if you need any more info just say it.

Even weak router should be able to handle 3 devices at 10 mbit total.

BUT, one device certainly CAN overwhelm the Internet pipe depending what it's doing.

Everybody quote download speed but ignore upload. The way tcp/ip works is, upload provides acknowledgement, and so if you upload pipe is saturated, the other end just sits there waiting for you even though your download pipe is not being filled.

So what all that mumbo-jumbo means? QOS implementation recommended.

Solution

niksonrex88

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018

Well 2 PCs are playing league of legends and the one that the network works only for is the last that is watching youtube or just playing online chess (aka my dad). So i dont get it. Youtube at 1080p max and im pretty sure it shouldnt be cutting network out.
Also what is that QOS?