[SOLVED] When I push the front power button to power down, the system won't start up again ?

John_253

Honorable
Feb 14, 2016
When I push the front power button to power down, the system won't start up again (when pushing front power button). To get the system to boot up again, I have to switch off the power supply, switch it back on again and then I can boot up using the front button. What is going on here? Any help is appreciated!

Regards,
John.

Solution
I am using windows 11, but I have the power button set (in power settings to choose what the power button does)
the power button this is referring to is the one in the start menu of windows, not on front of PC.
5C9NMq8.jpg

Pressing power button on front is a hard shutdown, not a soft one.

what are some details of your PC?
the sleep problem could be drivers.

try this
right click start button
choose Windows Terminal (Admin)
If it doesn't open as powershell, click the arrow in the title row and pick it from drop down.
copy/paste this command into window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter
Then type SFC /scannow
and press enter
Restart PC once both are run.

First command...

John_253

Honorable
Feb 14, 2016
I am using windows 11, but I have the power button set (in power settings to choose what the power button does) to shut down. Also, when I set the system to sleep after a preset time, I cannot wake it up again from the keyboard or mouse. I cannot even start the system up again from the front power button, I have to switch off the power supply, switch it back on again and then I can boot up using the front button.

Regards,
John.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am using windows 11, but I have the power button set (in power settings to choose what the power button does)
the power button this is referring to is the one in the start menu of windows, not on front of PC.
5C9NMq8.jpg

try this
right click start button
If it doesn't open as powershell, click the arrow in the title row and pick it from drop down.
and press enter
Then type SFC /scannow
and press enter

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files
SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

Last edited:
Solution

John_253

Honorable
Feb 14, 2016
5C9NMq8.jpg

try this
right click start button
and press enter
Then type SFC /scannow
and press enter

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files
SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

John_253

Honorable
Feb 14, 2016
System Specs (it would not let me insert an image)
Thanks for your help. The power button it refers to is actually the physical one on the front of PC Image of power button options (it would not let me insert an image). The dialogue I refer to has 4 options: Do nothing, sleep, shut down, or turn off display. I have tested these options with the power button on the front of the PC and the shut down option actually does a soft shutdown (i.e. goes through the windows shut down proceedure properly) - that's when I lose control of the power button and I have to disconnect the power from the PC PSU, so I can start it up again using the front power button.

For some reason I cannot open Windows Terminal (Admin). When I click on the option it gives the error: Windows cannot find "wt.exe" Edit: I have downloaded and installed it now. Image of Windows Powershell

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
TIL it does both menus, I had assumed it was just the software one. I never use the hard one unless its urgent.

have you got latest BIOS on motherboard?
latest X570 chipset drivers?

click on the option next to the shield that says "change settings that are currently unavalable. Is fast startup on or off? If you have ssd it should be off, just curious.

trick with imgur images is to right click the first image and open in a new tab. the first image is a gallery and the insert image choice here will show an error if you try to use a gallery. If you use a jpg link (right clicking gallery opens the jpg) it works. Other choice if just copy the link into thread and it will look like

View: https://imgur.com/BZvCm9V

Last edited:

John_253

Honorable
Feb 14, 2016
Thanks for your help!
TIL it does both menus
What do you mean by TIL?
have you got latest BIOS on motherboard?
latest X570 chipset drivers?
I haven't checked them.
"change settings that are currently unavalable. Is fast startup on or off? If you have ssd it should be off, just curious
Fast startup on or off - it doesn't give me that option. The options are: Sleep (show in power menu) or Lock (show in account picture menu).

Strange thing is, the power button thing has come good - I can use the sleep setting and it wakes up fine and I can also set the power switch to do a soft shut down and I can start it up again using that power switch. The only change I have made recently was to update the Bluetooth driver when I was prompted.

Last edited:

John_253

Honorable
Feb 14, 2016
Thanks for your help!
Shortly after my last post, my PC went into sleep mode and would not wake up again (same old problem). So I downloaded all the latest Mobo drivers (inc BIOS) and installed them all. I had a problem with booting up again after BIOS update, but I sorted this out without to much pain. My PC still has the same fault, unfortunately! Could it be a hardware problem, like a faulty PSU?

Colif

Win 11 Master
One cause can be a bios setting that doesn't match up with windows, but the bios update should have reset the bios. So it shouldn't be that.

Your power setting doesn't even show fast startup so its difficult to say if its on or not. That shouldn't affect power button though.

To get the system to boot up again, I have to switch off the power supply, switch it back on again and then I can boot up using the front button.
it could be PSU maybe but this behavior makes me think its not. As if it works everytime after this, I lean more towards problem being at other end of power - the motherboard end. I could be wrong though.
System Info doesn't show what PSU you have

It probably shouldn't matter but what case? since button is attached to case

I might ask others if they have any ideas.

Last edited:

John_253

Honorable
Feb 14, 2016
No, I don't have another PSU the same as this one (it's modular) and they're pretty expensive around AU$300. Just a thought. this installation of W11 has been upgraded from W10 and I was having the same problems with W10. I do have another M.2 SSD I can do a clean install on. That may eliminate the problem being a software one. I'll go ahead and do a clean install (along with driver updates) today and let you know how it went.

NOTE: IF you do get around to trying another PSU, do NOT MIX UP MODULAR CABLES between the two, as many have widely different pinouts for the PSU's modular insertion points...(can quickly fry things at first power on if not heeded)

I'd just set power switch to do an actual shutdown, and ignore the suspend software heartaches. (You can always retest with latest drivers/post fresh install in a few months time...

What operating system are you using?
If windows, why are you using the front power button to turn pc off?
You should be using the power options in windows to shutdown PC. Turning it off like that can corrupt windows, it may one day just not start again.

As a point of interest, a quick push/release of the power button does in fact direct a coordinated shutdown identical to as if one had selected shutdown in the menus, as long as one does not hold down the power switch for 4 seconds, which will do an instant hard power off. (It has been that way for many years, in fact)

John_253

Honorable
Feb 14, 2016
I'd just set power switch to do an actual shutdown, and ignore the suspend software heartaches. (You can always retest with latest drivers/post fresh install in a few months time...
I have set the power button to do an actual shutdown and it behaves the same way, I lose control of the power button after it has been given a quick push (all lights go out inc. power button) and I cannot restart the system by pressing the power button again. I have to switch off the PSU, wait for 10 seconds and tun on the PSU again and the system immediately powers up again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you don't get any better results on win 11, you might be best getting a repair store to test it. They might have a PSU they can swap in to see if it is cause. Beats paying 300 for a new one. If its under warranty you might be able to rma it and get a new one of same model. Its got a 5 year warranty on it.

Other people I asked both think its the PSU at fault.

John_253

Honorable
Feb 14, 2016
I have finally got win11 to run in a stable condition as a clean install. The first time I installed it, it kept freezing in an odd way. I could move the mouse, but I could not open anything, so I had to keep rebooting all the time, until I just gave up and reset it completely. Unfortuanately, the power button scenario has returned and it looks like the problem may indeed be the PSU. I will contact my supplier tomorrow to see if they can do a swap-out.

I also have this other problem in device manager: Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) A request for the USB device descriptor failed.

I have tried every suggested solution under the sun online to fix, but none of them work.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I also have this other problem in device manager: Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) A request for the USB device descriptor failed.
unlikely solution but there is a new BIOS, was released on 10th March
https://rog.asus.com/au/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-viii-formula-model/helpdesk_bios

i think I already suggested latest chipset drivers, i don't know if the win 11 ones are any different to the 10 ones. As between them and bios is usually have you identify unknown devices.

curious solution, might be related, another clue?
For some reason, temporarily unplugging your power supply and then connecting the problematic equipment into your computer may fix the Unknown USB device issue on Windows 10. Simply disconnect all charging cables from your laptop until your computer is only running on its integral battery. Then, plug in the USB device to see if your system recognizes it.

If this method doesn't fix the USB device error, you can rule out the power supply as a cause. However, if the USB starts working, try looking into replacing your charger.
https://softwarekeep.com/help-cente...quest-failed-unknown-usb-device-in-windows-10

obviously it assumes you know what problem is but perhaps its power showing itself another way?

guess we see if new PSU fixes it.

John_253

Honorable
Feb 14, 2016
NOTE: IF you do get around to trying another PSU, do NOT MIX UP MODULAR CABLES between the two, as many have widely different pinouts for the PSU's modular insertion points...(can quickly fry things at first power on if not heeded)

Thanks for that info. My PC is in for repairs now and I've forwarded that on to the techie who will be fixing it. Will let you know what the outcome is.

John_253

Honorable
Feb 14, 2016
unlikely solution but there is a new BIOS, was released on 10th March
https://rog.asus.com/au/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-viii-formula-model/helpdesk_bios

i think I already suggested latest chipset drivers, i don't know if the win 11 ones are any different to the 10 ones. As between them and bios is usually have you identify unknown devices.

curious solution, might be related, another clue?

https://softwarekeep.com/help-cente...quest-failed-unknown-usb-device-in-windows-10

obviously it assumes you know what problem is but perhaps its power showing itself another way?

guess we see if new PSU fixes it.

Interestingly enough, this USB problem happens whether or not I have a USB drive plugged into the PC or not.

My PC is in for repairs now. Will let you know what the outcome is.

Reactions: Colif