When i remove hdd windows says boot drive missing but windows is stored on ssd

Aug 3, 2018
I moved my windows OS onto my SSD for my new computer by reinstalling it so I didn't need to buy a new key but now I want to remove my HDD to use it elsewhere but my computer can't boot saying missing boot device I have tried changing the boot order to SSD with no change.
just checked disk manager and it says my 1tb HDD is disk 0 with two partitions:
-System Reserved 549 MB NTFS
-Mass Storage 1tb (Z)

Solution
Something as powerful and similar to Acronis Drive Director or EasyBCD or Macrium Reflect's "fix Windows boot function" -- just might be able to fix the problem. The steps to take depend upon what utility is chosen.
It's wrong to assume that the partition containing Windows is always the boot partition.

When you installed Windows on to the SSD, it created a separate boot partition (System Reserved) on the HDD --- so the HDD contains the Boot Manager - - On Windows 7 & later this is kept separate from the Windows partition as a security measure.
Take the HDD away and that means the boot manager is missing so Windows cannot start.

Where you went wrong is leaving the HDD connected when you installed Windows on the SSD.
You should have removed the HDD first.

Reformat the Windows partition on the SDD
Install Windows again on the SSD but make sure the HDD is disconnected this time.

Aug 3, 2018

Hi thanks for that but is there a way I can move the partition instead as I don't really want to reinstall windows now as I have been using it for a year now and has lots of programs installed.

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Something as powerful and similar to Acronis Drive Director or EasyBCD or Macrium Reflect's "fix Windows boot function" -- just might be able to fix the problem. The steps to take depend upon what utility is chosen.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS