[SOLVED] When I restart certain programs dont show on taskbar startup list

neo4evr

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Hi,
I am running Windows 10 on a new laptop.
When I am restarting the laptop, then certain programs (Such as nVidia control panel, Avast anti-virus, Web Companion) are not loading in the taskbar during startup.
Also I noticed that the CPU will be used up at around 95% for approx 2 minutes before returning back to normal.
When I manually click on the program, the icon appears in the taskbar...
This only happens on restart.
But works fine when I properly shut down and start.
Looking forward to your reply
Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Win 10 isn't off when you shut it down... how is this relevant? Well, Win 10 uses a mode called Fast startup to save a copy of all loaded drivers + the windows kernel into ram at shutdown so when you start the PC it already has many of the files it needs to load and speed up startup.

Now the only time your PC is actually off is during a restart, so unlike normal startup its starting from scratch and has to load everything... so it takes longer as its got more to load.

So that is why a restart takes longer than a normal startup.

The time difference is bigger if you have a hdd than if you have ssd, the time saved for an ssd is so small you might as well turn fast startup off.

Many Anti virus programs don't show in the startup list...
May 31, 2019
you have to make sure that they are enabled as startup programs for them to appear when your device boots up. you can generally see if they are from the task manager. You might also want to make sure their settings allow them to boot up with the device and appear in the taskbar icons.

the cpu usage is normal if you don't have a powerfull enough laptop, enough at least for the programs you have running when the device starts.

neo4evr

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
The programs are enabled as startup programs.
They are opening fine when the laptop is fully shut down and started.
But not opening when restarting.
The CPU in my laptop is i5 8265U. It's using 100% CPU only on restarting.

neo4evr

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

Colif

Win 11 Master
Win 10 isn't off when you shut it down... how is this relevant? Well, Win 10 uses a mode called Fast startup to save a copy of all loaded drivers + the windows kernel into ram at shutdown so when you start the PC it already has many of the files it needs to load and speed up startup.

Now the only time your PC is actually off is during a restart, so unlike normal startup its starting from scratch and has to load everything... so it takes longer as its got more to load.

The time difference is bigger if you have a hdd than if you have ssd, the time saved for an ssd is so small you might as well turn fast startup off.

Many Anti virus programs don't show in the startup list but still start, as it stops viruses from messing with their startup process. They likely use scheduled tasks to make sure they always running.

Last edited:
Solution

neo4evr

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

Many Anti virus programs don't show in the startup list but still start, as it stops viruses from messing with their startup process. They likely use scheduled tasks to make sure they always running.
Thanks!!! That clears my doubt...