Question When i starts my PC it reboots after one minute on then it continue working just right, PSU issue?

Nack431

Commendable
Aug 7, 2017
Hey,

A month ago i decided to bought a new graphic and endup buying the XFX RX570.
How my old PC had a R7 240 i had also to buy a new PSU that could handle the RX570, the PSU worked well like the first week but then ahead my PC started to have some issues.

Nowadays when i turn on my PC it works well for 1 minute and then it reboots and then it continue working well without any trouble even during heavy load, also from the first day that i bought and installed the PSU i notice a wierd sound that come from de PSU, a high pitch noise that even sound when all the system is off and only goes away seconds after i unplug the power cable that goes into the PSU.
So having that into account , is the PSU failing?

Thanks for cheking.

My specs are

Core i3 4160 3.6Ghz
8GB of RAM DDR3
XFX Radeon RX 570 RS 4GB XXX Edition
PSU UNITEC 550W

Nack431

Commendable
Aug 7, 2017
Unitec PSU?

I've never heard of that make so it's very likely a cheap piece of rubbish.

When you buy a PSU you should stick to those recommended on our forums. It's not just all about wattage.

Unitec is a common brand in my country, was cheap and went with my budget.

I will try to refund it and buy another, PSU's from Aerocool are also rubbish?

Unitec is a common brand in my country, was cheap and went with my budget.

I will try to refund it and buy another, PSU's from Aerocool are also rubbish?

It's common because it's cheap.

Aerocool is almost as bad as Unitec.

What country are you in? Columbia? There should be some reputable brands available.

If you didn't have a budget for a $75 PSU, you shouldn't be buying a $150 graphics card.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Nowadays when i turn on my PC it works well for 1 minute and then it reboots and then it continue working well without any trouble even during heavy load, also from the first day that i bought and installed the PSU i notice a wierd sound that come from de PSU, a high pitch noise that even sound when all the system is off and only goes away seconds after i unplug the power cable that goes into the PSU.
So having that into account , is the PSU failing?

How are you turning the PC off and on? You're not flipping the switch on the back of the PSU to turn it off and back on, are you?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Wow, passive PFC. This wasn't even a good PSU 15 years ago. Even modern junk PSUs at least pretend to have APFC.

An Aerocool would be better than this at least, but still pretty dire unless you're in their relative high-end, which would cost you a lot more anyway. Honestly, your best choices are either saving up for something proper or returning the GPU and getting an Aerocool along with something like a GT 1030 that can be handled.

As JG noted, just like the cost of a sports car has to factor in the cost of the insurance and maintenance, the cost of a GPU has to factor in the cost of a proper PSU to power it safely.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

Nack431

Commendable
Aug 7, 2017
How are you turning the PC off and on? You're not flipping the switch on the back of the PSU to turn it off and back on, are you?

No, I turn on my PC from the button in front of the case.

Note: In fact is Colombia and not Columbia, but buying hardware from the local market here is more expensive that from Amazon.

Nack431

Commendable
Aug 7, 2017
Wow, passive PFC. This wasn't even a good PSU 15 years ago. Even modern junk PSUs at least pretend to have APFC.

An Aerocool would be better than this at least, but still pretty dire unless you're in their relative high-end, which would cost you a lot more anyway. Honestly, your best choices are either saving up for something proper or returning the GPU and getting an Aerocool along with something like a GT 1030 that can be handled.

As JG noted, just like the cost of a sports car has to factor in the cost of the insurance and maintenance, the cost of a GPU has to factor in the cost of a proper PSU to power it safely.

The weird thing or at least for me is that after the initial reboot the PC continues working just right, without any trouble even during heavy load, although the PSU gets a little hot.

I think that the GPU is no longer refundable.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The weird thing or at least for me is that after the initial reboot the PC continues working just right, without any trouble even during heavy load, although the PSU gets a little hot.

I think that the GPU is no longer refundable.

Umm, this PC should not even be turned on after this behavior. Given what's happened before, you literally have no idea what the voltage regulation and ripple are in there right now and you risk losing the PSU (which wouldn't be a loss) but the GPU and the rest of your components as well.