[SOLVED] When I try to install new software, Windows will restart by itself mid installation --- what can cause this?

Mar 30, 2021
When I try to install a new software some times windows will restart by itself mid installation. Some softwares seem to be installed normally after this, some aren't installed but when I try again i can install them without a restart happening but some of them it happens every time and i can't install them (that happen to my GPU drivers and Nvidia GeForce experience).

I have found online that the fast boot can cause odd restarts, so i disabled it. I also found that there is a way to tell windows to not reboot whenever a error happen so i also did that... But it didn't work I still can't install the GeForce stuff...

I used the event viewer to try and get some information on those restarts (i found that restart codes are: 41, 1074, 6006, 6008 ) so i searched for those... and at the time of the restart i found just 2 events of that kind:

one says: level: critical; source: kernel power; id: 41; task category: 63 and "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

and the other says: level: error; source: event log; id:6008; task: none and "The previous system shutdown at 12:22:31 on ‎07/‎05/‎2021 was unexpected."

Does anyone know what could be causing this? What other events should i look for, in order to find out what is the problem?
Or if there is any other way of finding out what is the problem...

This started happening after I upgraded my motherboard, processor and PSU (my old PSU was faulty). My build is:
CPU: ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 gaming oc pro
PSU: XPG Core Reactor 650W
Motherboard: Aorus Master B550

Solution
What exactly do you mean by:

Would using the "create a recovery drive" thing work?
It says that if I back up the system files to the drive I can use it to reinstall windows...

Or should I use something like this instead: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10startfresh
Create a bootable USB to install with.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Boot from that, and then...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure you made a good choice on the PSU. Would be something to look into. If your previous PSU was faulty, did that lead to the new hardware purchases?

If you bought a new motherboard and processor, did you re-install Windows, or just plug it in. That can cause issues, so you might just need to re-install from scratch.

You've identified the system recognizing that it did an unexpected reboot. Look at the logs before that point to see what has happening at the time.

If the GPU was a recent purchase, try installing GPU-Z and confirming you actually got what you paid for.

Mar 30, 2021
Yes, the faulty PSU was the reason I upgraded the PC, but the previous one had the same wattage and worked with a system that used roughly the same wattage than this one for 7 years before failing. And I saw a good review of this PSU here.

Regarding windows, when I plugged it in it worked. But I know that there could be problems so I did the "reset this PC" thing... and it failed to do so twice... windows just said that it failed and that it was undoing changes... but I tried a third time and it worked...

when I look for errors at the time the restarts happened I got a bunch of: source: whea-logger; event id:18 "processor core cache hierarchy error", any idea of what that is? is my processor broken? i just got it 3 days ago...

About my GPU; I got it a little before my other system started having issues (6 months or so); could it be my GPU? what do you mean by this: "GPU-Z and confirming you actually got what you paid for" what kind of information I'm looking for?

pdc.png

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
What exactly do you mean by:

Would using the "create a recovery drive" thing work?
It says that if I back up the system files to the drive I can use it to reinstall windows...

Or should I use something like this instead: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10startfresh

Solution
Mar 30, 2021

Did all that, same error still happened when I tried to install Nvidia drivers from their website...

Mar 30, 2021
By same error I mean, the PC restarted mid installation and on the event viewer it shows that an error happened at the time of the restart, the source is WHEA-Logger, the event id is 18, and on general there is this:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 10

Last edited: