Question When I turn my computer on, it won't POST and then shuts off. No beeps

Aug 10, 2019
Replaced my PSU and heatsink/fan, plugged in everything correctly and when I went to turn my computer back on, it would be on for about 10 seconds, (Fans spinnign, lights on, etc) and then it will shut off. Won't go into POST or anything. I don't hear any beeps from the motherboard either. Nothing.

I'm worried that I somehow fried my mother board, but, none of the capacitors are blown? I don't know Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Aug 10, 2019
Go back and re-check all connectors by unplugging ALL of them and re-connecting them securely--particularly the heatsink/fan connection to the MB.

Checked and re-checked multiple times already. :-/

I had the hope that I possibly didn't plug in the heatsink/fan in correctly, but, I did.

Not sure if helpful but, the mobo is an ASUS m5a99fx pro r2.0 motherboard, PSU is a Thermaltake Smart 750w 80+bronze, and the heatsink/fan is a Antec Kuhler H2O 950.

This would be the time to remove everything from the case and breadboard the build.

You don't have integrated graphics, so you should start with the MB, processor, one memory DIMM, and the graphics card. See what you get out of it....maybe try it with the old PSU connected, to see if this is related to a new PSU that is defective (it has happened).

Your MB manual is here, in case you don't have it at hand.

You may also want to try clearing the RTC RAM.

....and make certain that you have a speaker connected to the Panel connector on the MB. If that's not connected, you may be missing beep codes that can help you track this down.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019
This would be the time to remove everything from the case and breadboard the build.

You don't have integrated graphics, so you should start with the MB, processor, one memory DIMM, and the graphics card. See what you get out of it....maybe try it with the old PSU connected, to see if this is related to a new PSU that is defective (it has happened).

Your MB manual is here, in case you don't have it at hand.

You may also want to try clearing the RTC RAM.

....and make certain that you have a speaker connected to the Panel connector on the MB. If that's not connected, you may be missing beep codes that can help you track this down.

Well, I discovered one problem only to run into another. Turns out the new cooling unit had a pin missing and putting in my old cooling unit has my computer starting up...

HOWEVER, now no power is going to my peripherals. Have a speaker, but, I don't hear any beep codes. Double checked all connections and pins, everything seems to be fine. Still no power the peripherals. I've taken everything out and plugged them back in one at a time to make sure. Still no power to my peripherals.