Question When I Turn off PC, VGA stops working till I reset into safemode

Oct 26, 2021
Hello,
I recently upgraded my PSU, a M2 drive, and a case and ever since then I have had this odd issue. The PC will run fine for days in all tasks but when I turn the computer off. It will not post and it gives me a yellow light on my Tuf x570 MOBO... it will do this till I reset it multiple time and get into safemode. I then go to BIOS, change nothing it boots and it runs for days with no issues. The X570 is less than 2 years old so I dont think the CMOS is dead, and I really don't want to do a full OS reinstall if I can get away with not doing it. I have taken out the GPU and RAM to make sure its set in correctly... both seem to be. What in the world is going on?

My Specs are:

5600x
Asus Tuf x570
xfx 6900xt
adata 8200a M2 drive
Sn750 M2 drive(new addition)
superflower plat 100w PSU
new case but its all on standoffs and nothing is shorting out that I can see.

Oct 26, 2021
Is the M2 the operating system drive?
If so....how did you get the OS to the M2?
Why do you need to get to safe mode to get into the BIOS?
I would think you could get into the BIOS anyway.
No, the new M2 is just a storage M2.
When I turn it off and back on I get a orange light and it wont post. Just a blank screen. No input will do anything so that is why I cant get to BIOS. If I turn it off and on a few times in a row, it automatically starts in safe mode. It tells me so in the splash screen, I can then get to BIOS by pressing F1.

From what I'm seeing...that LED is either a memory LED or boot LED (see manual to find out which).

If it's the memory LED.....I'd power down and reseat the memory.

If it's the boot LED....I'd power down and reseat the boot drive and/or any cables associated with it.

I would also.....while I was powered down....reset the CMOS.

I would also....while in the BIOS......check to see that all drives are recognized.....and I would make sure the boot drive is at the top of the boot order.......and then I would SAVE the BIOS.

Oct 26, 2021
From what I'm seeing...that LED is either a memory LED or boot LED (see manual to find out which).

If it's the memory LED.....I'd power down and reseat the memory.

If it's the boot LED....I'd power down and reseat the boot drive and/or any cables associated with it.

I would also.....while I was powered down....reset the CMOS.

I would also....while in the BIOS......check to see that all drives are recognized.....and I would make sure the boot drive is at the top of the boot order.......and then I would SAVE the BIOS.
Sadly none of that worked. I really don't understand why either. I figured the cmos was not the issue because my ram timing would stay set when I rebooted into safe mode. But I did try everything you suggested just to be thorough. Drives show up correctly. OS drive is listed first. Etc... Very frustrating. Thank you for your help but any more suggestions?

Last edited:
Sadly none of that worked. I really don't understand why either. I figured the cmos was not the issue because my ram timing would stay set when I rebooted into safe mode. But I did try everything you suggested just to be thorough. Drives show up correctly. OS drive is listed first. Etc... Very frustrating. Thank you for your help but any more suggestions?
Was the LED the memory or boot LED?
I would try a new CMOS battery because even though I don't think it's probable....it's possible.
Have you tried running with 1 stick of memory in the proper slot.....go through all the sticks.

Oct 26, 2021
I did try with one stick, did not work. I am pretty sure its the mem LED. It cycles yellow red white then green when its working correctly. Oddly, today when I tried it it actually went though all the colors like it should have but the screen was still black. I ordered a CMOS from prime so it will be here in a day or so. I will update soon. (Just for clarity. White is VGA, red is CPU, green is boot, and yellow is Dram on my specific board per a ASUS video on the website)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021
I did try with one stick, did not work. I am pretty sure its the mem LED. It cycles yellow red white then green when its working correctly. Oddly, today when I tried it it actually went though all the colors like it should have but the screen was still black. I ordered a CMOS from prime so it will be here in a day or so. I will update soon. (Just for clarity. White is VGA, red is CPU, green is boot, and yellow is Dram on my specific board per a ASUS video on the website)
I got the CMOS didnt work. I really am at a loss here. I guess I will try to do a fresh install.