Question When I turn on my PC it clicks and lights flash but it doesn’t turn on

cdoge88

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018
When I go to click the power on my computerI hear a clicking noise and the lights flash for half a second but it doesn’t turn on and I will try to place in the power switch but I don’t think that’s the issue I’ve seen that it could be the power supply but it was working after I changed the power switched before but now it doesn’t. Could it be my power supply or is it another issue?

Last edited:
It could very well be the PSU, but it would be great with a little more info on what components are in your PC, and what specific power supply you have, and the age of it.

Everything works until it suddenly doesn't, so that's not so strange that your PSU or PC used to be fine, but now isn't

cdoge88

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018
It could very well be the PSU, but it would be great with a little more info on what components are in your PC, and what specific power supply you have, and the age of it.

Everything works until it suddenly doesn't, so that's not so strange that your PSU or PC used to be fine, but now isn't
Yeah the clicking sound is coming from my psu... It’s a cooler master 750w gold in case the first one didn’t send
My full specs are i5-8600k, 16gb ddr4 2666 Corsair ram, Samsung 860 EVO ssd, gtx 1060 6gb msi and msi z-370 gaming motherboard.

Last edited:
Did you have to disassemble parts of your system to replace the power switch? If you did, are you sure you reattached all connections. You could try and doublecheck all connections.

But the sounds and the symptoms you describe, sure sounds like it is caused by a bad PSU. It is strange it happened right after you changed the power swicth, but coincidences happen.

Since the power button isn't a continous conncection, but just a short, it sounds like it work as it is supposed to when you can make the system react when you push the button, eventhough it is not staying on.

Is it possible for you to borrow a known working PSU to see if your computer works with that?

cdoge88

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018
Did you have to disassemble parts of your system to replace the power switch? If you did, are you sure you reattached all connections. You could try and doublecheck all connections.

But the sounds and the symptoms you describe, sure sounds like it is caused by a bad PSU. It is strange it happened right after you changed the power swicth, but coincidences happen.

Since the power button isn't a continous conncection, but just a short, it sounds like it work as it is supposed to when you can make the system react when you push the button, eventhough it is not staying on.

Is it possible for you to borrow a known working PSU to see if your computer works with that?
I tried to replace my psu with a 1200w cooler master platinum and now it doesn’t even turn on when I click the power button... is the psu to overkill or could it be something else... like maybe this one doesn’t work either...

Your PC will only draw the required power for it to operate, so even if the PSU is overkill, it wouldn't prevent the PC from turning on or causing any other problems.

Testing two faulty powersupplies on after the other can af course happen, but it could also very likely indicate that the PSU is not faulty, and the problem lies elsewhere

cdoge88

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018
Your PC will only draw the required power for it to operate, so even if the PSU is overkill, it wouldn't prevent the PC from turning on or causing any other problems.

Testing two faulty powersupplies on after the other can af course happen, but it could also very likely indicate that the PSU is not faulty, and the problem lies elsewhere
I tested the 1200 watt one, it works fine, so what could be causing it not to work when I plug everything in?

Just to make sure I understand you correctly.

The 1200 watt PSU is confirmed to be working on its own?

But when you connect it to your PC, the system won't boot, but acts like you described in your first post instead?

Despite the possibility of coincidence, it is difficult to ignore that you rewired the power button, right before all this began.

Have you checked, that all the front panel connectors are connected in the right places? I'm especially thinking of the PWR_SW and the Reset_SW, but also check PWR_LED and HDD_LED

What happens if you press the reset switch when the PC is off?

Make sure you didn't reverse the wires when you reapired the power switch.

If you soldered the wires to the power switch, are you sure they are not accidently causing a short of some kind?

Check all connections in your PC. Are all cables from the PSU connected correctly on both ends (PSU and Motherboard)

EDIT : What was the actual reason for the repair you did, and how did you perform the repair?

Last edited:

cdoge88

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018
Just to make sure I understand you correctly.

The 1200 watt PSU is confirmed to be working on its own?

But when you connect it to your PC, the system won't boot, but acts like you described in your first post instead?

Despite the possibility of coincidence, it is difficult to ignore that you rewired the power button, right before all this began.

Have you checked, that all the front panel connectors are connected in the right places? I'm especially thinking of the PWR_SW and the Reset_SW, but also check PWR_LED and HDD_LED

What happens if you press the reset switch when the PC is off?

Make sure you didn't reverse the wires when you reapired the power switch.

If you soldered the wires to the power switch, are you sure they are not accidently causing a short of some kind?

Check all connections in your PC. Are all cables from the PSU connected correctly on both ends (PSU and Motherboard)

EDIT : What was the actual reason for the repair you did, and how did you perform the repair?
OK, sorry for all the confusion, but I have put the 750 w original psu back in and it seems to work some of the time... This meaning that when I initially rewired the whole system and plugged it in again and it powered on fine. However, as soon as I turned if off and went to turn it back on again, it did the same thing as in the first post, but, now it works again after letting it sit for a while. This seems very weird and I'm wondering if maybe some component that turns it on overheated or something like that. I put the original power switch and all the leds and such back into place, and I didn't solder anything to the power switch. I also did check all of the connections and change some wires. I don't why it works some of the time and not others... Its really quite strange

cdoge88

Commendable
Sep 8, 2018
OK, sorry for all the confusion, but I have put the 750 w original psu back in and it seems to work some of the time... This meaning that when I initially rewired the whole system and plugged it in again and it powered on fine. However, as soon as I turned if off and went to turn it back on again, it did the same thing as in the first post, but, now it works again after letting it sit for a while. This seems very weird and I'm wondering if maybe some component that turns it on overheated or something like that. I put the original power switch and all the leds and such back into place, and I didn't solder anything to the power switch. I also did check all of the connections and change some wires. I don't why it works some of the time and not others... Its really quite strange
Update: I figured out a temporary solution, If the clicking occurs when I turn it on, I take out the wires from the PSU and plug them back in, and that seems to alleviate the problem for now, why this works I don't know, but Its an solution for now.

TRENDING THREADS