Question When I turn on Windows 10 mobile hotspot, I lose internet connection on my PC ?

ToxicThing

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2015
Hey,
I got this problem since I updated to newest version of Windows 10 yesterday I think.
The problem is when I turn on mobile hotspot in Windows 10 and connect my phone, I lose internet on my pc. I am using cable internet and have 100 mb/s, but when I connect my phone it can't connect to anything.
Does someone experience same issue? Solutions?
Thanks!

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Hey,
I got this problem since I updated to newest version of Windows 10 yesterday I think.
The problem is when I turn on mobile hotspot in Windows 10 and connect my phone, I lose internet on my pc. I am using cable internet and have 100 mb/s, but when I connect my phone it can't connect to anything.
Does someone experience same issue? Solutions?
Thanks!
What version of Windows 10 are you on? You said that you think it started happening after the latest update. Did it work before?

blighteous67

Reputable
Jul 2, 2018
I'm actually experiencing the same issue. I've been using mobile hotspot from my Windows 10 computer for the last 10 months with no problems whatsoever, then as soon as I update the latest update, my network stops working when I turn on mobile hotspot. I'm using cable too, with 1000 mb/s connection so it's definitely not because of the bandwidth.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Yep, I just made a system restore to a restore point from 12/06/22 and it works perfectly again. So it IS just the update. Bravo Microsoft.
Which update is it? And what is the version of Microsoft that you restored to?

I have not been able to imitate this on my computers which are fully updated. Have you installed all of the latest drivers from your computer manufacturer? It could be that you need the latest Wi-Fi or Ethernet drivers.

Jun 20, 2022
(Updated: I uninstalled the update KB5014699 and restarted the laptop. The problem seems to be solved for now.)

I am facing the same problem since updating Windows 10 on Thursday. Whenever I connect to my laptop's mobile hotspot, all the browsers seemingly starts showing no internet. I can ping google and other sites, but the browsers doesn't get internet, no matter what I do. And it only happens if I connect any device to the laptop's hotspot.

Update: I think it is the update June 14, 2022—KB5014699 (OS Builds 19042.1766, 19043.1766, and 19044.1766). It has a known issue as "Windows devices might be unable use the Wi-Fi hotspot feature. When attempting to use the hotspot feature, the host device might lose the connection to the internet after a client device connects ".

Unfortunately, the workaround given is to "disable the Wi-Fi hotspot feature", which somewhat ... puzzles me to say the least.

Last edited:

Pyo

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
wow, I've been trouble shooting this all night and came here to post. Happy to see other people have encountered it.

Did a restore to about the 13th of June 2022 and it worked. The idiot that I am I ran updates and it broke again.

Jun 29, 2022
I have fixed the same issue.
all i did is uninstalling the update kb5014699.
press windows key then type windows update - search for view update history - then uninstall updates - then find the kb5014699 update and uninstall it.
if the error pops up during uninstallation, im afraid that reformatting your computer is your last option.

if u will reformat your computer by installing windows 10 with a usb.
make sure that ur computer is not connected to the internet.
it is because windows will auto update all the drivers including (kb5014699) that is causing the mobile hotspot problem on windows 10.
So, after the installation, do not connect your computer to the internet.
u need to disable first the windows update by clicking your windows key - then type services - then scroll down find the windows update - then click it and disable it.
after u disable the windows update, u need to restart your computer.
after the reboot, click the windows key again then search for windows update.
then pause the update for 7 days, spam it till u cant click it.

after doing all these steps.
u can turn on mobile hotspot without losing ur internet connection.

I advice that u need to take a picture of these procedures so that u can follow carefully.
I hope i helped to fix ur problem.

Jul 1, 2022
(Updated: I uninstalled the update KB5014699 and restarted the laptop. The problem seems to be solved for now.)

I am facing the same problem since updating Windows 10 on Thursday. Whenever I connect to my laptop's mobile hotspot, all the browsers seemingly starts showing no internet. I can ping google and other sites, but the browsers doesn't get internet, no matter what I do. And it only happens if I connect any device to the laptop's hotspot.

Update: I think it is the update June 14, 2022—KB5014699 (OS Builds 19042.1766, 19043.1766, and 19044.1766). It has a known issue as "Windows devices might be unable use the Wi-Fi hotspot feature. When attempting to use the hotspot feature, the host device might lose the connection to the internet after a client device connects ".

Unfortunately, the workaround given is to "disable the Wi-Fi hotspot feature", which somewhat ... puzzles me to say the least.

I also uninstalled the update KB5014699 and restarted the laptop. The problem seems to be solved for now.

Jul 22, 2022

Sheesh, thank you!

For the past 2 days my whole system was moving extremely slow in addition to the hotspot issue.

After uninstalling the update everything is back to normal.

Thanks!

Jul 27, 2022
I have found that by installing all available updates solved this problem for me.

To do this, search for "Windows Update" in the windows search bar, and then click on "Check online for an update from Microsoft Update".

Feel free to repeat this even after installing all updates, as it showed new ones it didn't before I installed all of them.