When i upgrade to 64bit from 32 bit will i have a windows.old folder?

exittoexist

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
So i have 1 simple question. I'll upgrade from windows to 64bit from 32bit.

I have 2 hdd's the second one is for backup files.

My question is that;

1- Would the second hdd remain the same as before? ( i will install win7 64bit to the 1st hdd) but this one has an old windows folder inside that i cannot delete.

2-Previously i had a "windowsold" file that contained all of the things i had before the new windows install. Would it be the same when i upgrade to 64bit?

mubin

Distinguished
When installing win 7 64bit, format desire drive and there will be no old windows folder.

2nd hdd will be same as before. No data will be lost.

In new windows drive, no data will be there after fresh install.

You cannot do an upgrade it will have to be a fresh install. If you tell it to install on current drive you would have the option of dual boot or at the begining of the install you can format the drive removing everything (This is highly recommended if you have backed up everything).

Thent

As the above said you would what/need to do a clean install. Backup any personal files to your second HDD and then boot with your Windows 7 x64 disc and choose the format option on your first drive. Of course you will have to re-install your programs and such. But as far as I know that is the only way to go from x32 to x64.

exittoexist

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Thanks for the replies. I am corcerned that second hdd might not also work because there is a windows folder there (32bit from my old computer.)

Hi :)

Just take the second hd out until the first is done then you cannot lose anything...

All the best Brett :)

exittoexist

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

no i boot from the 1st 1tb one. im just worried the second one contains 32bit windows files

fantastik250

Distinguished
If you are able to boot from for your 1TB HDD, then turn off computer plug in 2nd HDD, and it will hopefully recognize and you will be able to access all your files within the 2nd HDD. In your BIOS, you should look for BOOT PRIORITY and have your computer boot from your 1TB HDD, just in case.