Question When I use dual channel ram PC only boots to bios but not windows

Jun 3, 2023
So I want to let out all the specifics of my situation,

My specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5500
GPU: EVGA Rtx 2060 KO
PSU: EVGA 600W
RAM: 8x2 Corsair (single channel, one in A1 and the other in B1)
Motherboard: ASUS TUF A520M Plus Wifi

As stated before, my ram is on A1 and B1 slots, this is because whenever I try to use dual channel (heck, whenever I try and use the A2 or B2 slot) it won't display anything. When I first got my PC, I used the B1 and B2 slots and it worked perfectly, after a while I started getting blue screens, crashes, and eventually it led to my PC turning on, but not displaying anything or sending any signals to my monitor (this happened no matter which gpu I used). I then took out the B2 ram and the PC started displaying again, then I found out it would still display when I used the A1 and B1 slots. Today I was curious, so I tried using the A1 and A2 slots, the PC turned on, then turned off, it did this 4 times, all while nothing was shown in the monitor, then It did boot up, but only to Bios, I then tried to boot to windows but it didn't work, instead it led to the process repeating itself where the PC would turn off multiple times and boot up to Bios only. Then I put the ram back to their usual slots and the PC booted like normal. I wonder if this issue is the reason for many newer games (or anything that uses raytracing) crashing for me (Warzone 2.0 for example would give me error 6068D). I thought it was the gpu but that wouldn't make much sense. Can someone help me find out the issue and help me fix it? Is it a CPU problem? Is it a Motherboard problem that's causing this?

My specs:

As stated before, my ram is on A1 and B1 slots, this is because whenever I try to use dual channel (heck, whenever I try and use the A2 or B2 slot) it won't display anything. When I first got my PC, I used the B1 and B2 slots and it worked perfectly, after a while I started getting blue screens, crashes, and eventually it led to my PC turning on, but not displaying anything or sending any signals to my monitor (this happened no matter which gpu I used). I then took out the B2 ram and the PC started displaying again, then I found out it would still display when I used the A1 and B1 slots. Today I was curious, so I tried using the A1 and A2 slots, the PC turned on, then turned off, it did this 4 times, all while nothing was shown in the monitor, then It did boot up, but only to Bios, I then tried to boot to windows but it didn't work, instead it led to the process repeating itself where the PC would turn off multiple times and boot up to Bios only. Then I put the ram back to their usual slots and the PC booted like normal. I wonder if this issue is the reason for many newer games (or anything that uses raytracing) crashing for me (Warzone 2.0 for example would give me error 6068D). I thought it was the gpu but that wouldn't make much sense. Can someone help me find out the issue and help me fix it? Is it a CPU problem? Is it a Motherboard problem that's causing this?
Page 1-9 of your manual indicates the recommended memory placement. B2 for a single stick and A2 for the second stick. If you use A2 and B2 can you not boot into bios? If so then next step would be to try booting from a usb containing the windows installer. If successful you may have to reinstall windows since you were not using the recommended memory installation when you previously installed it.

Jun 3, 2023
Page 1-9 of your manual indicates the recommended memory placement. B2 for a single stick and A2 for the second stick. If you use A2 and B2 can you not boot into bios? If so then next step would be to try booting from a usb containing the windows installer. If successful you may have to reinstall windows since you were not using the recommended memory installation when you previously installed it.
It's not that, the last 2 slots (A2 and B2) simply don't work, no matter the combination, if I stick even one ram stick on the last 2 slots, it'll cost for the PC to have the problems I stated before. Only the first 2 slots (A1 and B1) work. It can't be a problem with my M.2 SSD because it boots normally when I don't use either of the last 2 slots.

That_Tech_Guy_Again

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2016

My specs:

I literally just faced a VERY similar problem with my PC approximately 5 minutes ago. It is possible that 1 of your RAM modules has malfunctioned.

Also, to my knowledge (presuming it is accurate). A1 and A2, should go together, and B1 and B2 should go together. Have you tried ONLY using a single RAM module?

In my case, only 1 RAM moduel malfunctioned. It is possible that 1 of your RAM modules has malfunctioned. I also did NOT recieve a video signal. If 1 of YOUR RAM modules has only PARTIALLY malfunctioned. It could explain the inconsistency. Since, when 1 of my RAM modules malfunctioned, i WAS ABLE to boot into windows a few tkimes, before it basically completely stopped working.

While the 1 RAM module that malfunctioned was inserted into the Motherboard, that could cause all the other problems, sinec a failure to read RAM can cause crahes and PREVENT booting into windows. Also, my RAM was preventing even the BIOS from booting. (Speculation - depending on WHICH part inside the actual RAM module is not working - could produce different problems).

I hope this helps you. Good luck.

If you have NOT already. Try only using 1 RAM module.

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
The problem could be:
1) RAM
2) CPU
3) Motherboard

Create a bootable USB memory stick containing MemTest86+. Fit a single memory stick in the first DIMM slot and attempt to boot and run MemTest. Note the result. Move the DIMM to the next memory slot and repeat. Test the remaining two slots with the DIMM, one after the other.

If this DIMM passes MemTest in at least one memory slot, you've proved the DIMM, the memory slot and at least one of the CPU's memory channels are working.

Repeat these four tests with the second DIMM in each of the four slots. If the second DIMM passes MemTest in the same slots as the first DIMM, you know that both DIMMs are OK and the fault must be in the CPU or motherboard.

The next test relies on your having another motherboard or compatible CPU.

If you have another motherboard, use it to test the 5500 and RAM. If this test is OK, the culprit is probably the A520 mobo. If the test fails, the 5500 probably has a dead memory controller channel.

If you have another CPU, put it in the A520 mobo with your RAM and run MemTest. Repeat until all four slots have been tested. If all four tests are OK, the culprit is probably the 5500. If some of these tests fail with the new CPU, the A520 mobo probably has broken traces leading to some of the DIMM sockets (caused by over-tightening the CPU heatsink?)

Alternatively, if all this is too difficult, buy an new mobo, CPU and RAM.

Jun 3, 2023
The problem could be:
1) RAM
2) CPU
3) Motherboard

Create a bootable USB memory stick containing MemTest86+. Fit a single memory stick in the first DIMM slot and attempt to boot and run MemTest. Note the result. Move the DIMM to the next memory slot and repeat. Test the remaining two slots with the DIMM, one after the other.

If this DIMM passes MemTest in at least one memory slot, you've proved the DIMM, the memory slot and at least one of the CPU's memory channels are working.

Repeat these four tests with the second DIMM in each of the four slots. If the second DIMM passes MemTest in the same slots as the first DIMM, you know that both DIMMs are OK and the fault must be in the CPU or motherboard.

The next test relies on your having another motherboard or compatible CPU.

If you have another motherboard, use it to test the 5500 and RAM. If this test is OK, the culprit is probably the A520 mobo. If the test fails, the 5500 probably has a dead memory controller channel.

If you have another CPU, put it in the A520 mobo with your RAM and run MemTest. Repeat until all four slots have been tested. If all four tests are OK, the culprit is probably the 5500. If some of these tests fail with the new CPU, the A520 mobo probably has broken traces leading to some of the DIMM sockets (caused by over-tightening the CPU heatsink?)

Alternatively, if all this is too difficult, buy an new mobo, CPU and RAM.
Thank you, I'll first try buying a new mobo. I know it can't be the ram cause I've used different ram sticks and have had the same problem, so I'm guessing it's just the ram slats, which could still be affected by either CPU or Mobo. Cause Mobo costs less, imma replace that first, and then CPU if problem persists.

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
It's not totally impossible that all the RAM you've tried is faulty. Very unlikely I know, but if you haven't tested the RAM with MemTest86+ in a good system, you can't be 100% certain every DIMM is OK.

A bad motherboard might destroy each stick of RAM you plug into it. Ditto with CPUs.

Regardless, if you can afford to buy a new mobo, it will save hours/days of tedious testing.

Good luck.