[SOLVED] When is a good time to upgrade?

prismagon69

Commendable
Feb 4, 2019
Hey everyone,
I'm looking for an upgrade for my PC.
These are my specs:
i5 7400
GTX 1050 Ti
4x2 HyperX Fury Black 2133MHz
Kingston 120 GB SSD
WD Blue 1TB
MSI B250 Pro VD
Chieftec GPA-500S 500W PSU

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU (I will probably have to upgrade motherboard as well) and my GPU.
I'm looking to get something in between the 1660 and the 5600XT.
The question is: When will be a good time to upgrade? I've heard that prices aren't very good currently. Also, will a Ryzen 2600 be enough?

Solution
I mean the system is a prebuilt.... So, probably need a new license..... This is getting more complicated than I thought. I would like to keep my mobo, but isn't a 7th Gen Intel too old?
If you want to Upgrade, don't center the parts selection around keeping the motherboard so you don't have to buy a new OS license.
That is like upgrading but keeping the same level motherboard so you can reuse the DDR3 RAM you might already have.

In the context of a whole new system, a new Windows license is maybe 10%.
And can often be offset by selling some or all of your old system.

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
Due to quarantine, a shop's stock can be low, which makes the product pricier. You could wait out until prices drop, or when your 1050 gives in and dies or when it isn't powerfull enough anymore.

Going for a ryzen 2600 (I think you mean a Ryzen 5 2600), will get you to swap your mobo, and if you swap your mobo, you'll have to get a new windows license.

prismagon69

Commendable
Feb 4, 2019
Due to quarantine, a shop's stock can be low, which makes the product pricier. You could wait out until prices drop, or when your 1050 gives in and dies or when it isn't powerfull enough anymore.

Going for a ryzen 2600 (I think you mean a Ryzen 5 2600), will get you to swap your mobo, and if you swap your mobo, you'll have to get a new windows license.

Wait, you have to get a new windows license every time you swap your motherboard?
Why did nobody tell me that lol

prismagon69

Commendable
Feb 4, 2019
Transferability of a Windows license depends on where the original came from.
There is no 100% either way.

So...where did this come from?

I mean the system is a prebuilt.... So, probably need a new license..... This is getting more complicated than I thought. I would like to keep my mobo, but isn't a 7th Gen Intel too old?

USAFRet

Titan
If you want to Upgrade, don't center the parts selection around keeping the motherboard so you don't have to buy a new OS license.
That is like upgrading but keeping the same level motherboard so you can reuse the DDR3 RAM you might already have.

Solution

prismagon69

Commendable
Feb 4, 2019

I have done some research and I've read you can link a Windows license to your Microsoft account? Is that possible with a prebuilt?

TRENDING THREADS