[SOLVED] When is my GPU overheating?

David Terry

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
I recently got a Radeon Sapphire Nitro+ RX 590 GPU, and with the Radeon Overlay, I'm monitoring it's temperature. It came to me from Amazon by the most hazardous way I could think (They just stuck a label on the box rather than putting it in one of their cusioned Amazon Boxes), and I'm worried it might have gotten damaged en-route. I heard that It's load setting has it not go over 75 C, but I am wondering if it does go over that, should I consider that it might be damaged after-all? I don't know a lot about GPU's so I'd love to learn.

Solution
Depending on the GPU you are using you will have other parameters of what "Hot" Means...
75° Celcius is like an iddle temp for some of the newer RX cards and the mythic gtx 480 which used to be one of the hottest cards ever produced.
Rx 590 is a Hot running card : Its Load temps are between 70 to 80 Degrees i would start worrying past 85 Degrees. And pretty sure it just boils out at 95°.
If you wanna achieve lower temps there are a lot of things you can do to improve the temps. None of them except for changing the cooling system of the own GPU will have a dramatical impact but they can definitly lower your temps.
1- Clean your whole PC a dust free pc is a healthy pc.
2-Add more fans to your case.
3- Watercool / Liquid cool your CPU or...
Aug 7, 2019
My knowledge on the technical workings of GPUs is very shallow as well but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try some GPU stress test software like Unigine or FurMark and keep an eye on how the temperature rises and if any artifacts appear during the benchmarking/stress testing.

Reactions: David Terry

David Terry

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
My knowledge on the technical workings of GPUs is very shallow as well but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try some GPU stress test software like Unigine or FurMark and keep an eye on how the temperature rises and if any artifacts appear during the benchmarking/stress testing.

Thanks for the advice. I ran FurMark and did a 5 min stress test. half of that time was the GPU staying at 75C with the fans RPM increasing. I'm using the Radeon Overlay to monitor, and so far it only went past 75 once, and that was only by 1 degree and when I cranked up WoW to it's maximum settings. But now I wonder if the increase in fan speed/power could also cause harm to the GPU?

Ramlethal

Estimable
Depending on the GPU you are using you will have other parameters of what "Hot" Means...
75° Celcius is like an iddle temp for some of the newer RX cards and the mythic gtx 480 which used to be one of the hottest cards ever produced.
Rx 590 is a Hot running card : Its Load temps are between 70 to 80 Degrees i would start worrying past 85 Degrees. And pretty sure it just boils out at 95°.
If you wanna achieve lower temps there are a lot of things you can do to improve the temps. None of them except for changing the cooling system of the own GPU will have a dramatical impact but they can definitly lower your temps.
1- Clean your whole PC a dust free pc is a healthy pc.
2-Add more fans to your case.
3- Watercool / Liquid cool your CPU or other other components that can affect the temps of other components near by.
4-Replace the cooling system of your GPU for a WaterBlock (This is the most efficient one) .

Solution