When it all goes right...

Sometimes so much goes right, I feel that I'm playing a
demigod-level character well before ascension. In this case, I'm
playing just my third-ever barbarian (orc). Among the things I have
found:

* A bag of holding 100 turns after blowing one up.
* Three magic lamps.
* A wand of wishing outside the Castle.
* Speed boots, power gauntlets, magic-resistance cloak, and
Hawaiian shirt.
* Four luckstones outside the Mines.
* Cleaver in the Castle storeroom, after I'd elevated to "expert"
with axe. (Playing a chaotic, the only artifact I ever wish for
is the Master Key of Thievery.)
* Plus two rich bones files.

I also successfully bought 11 protection points from a priest.

This Cleaver is powerful. I'm mowing down enemies at the rate of
25-30 HP/swing. Being "very fast" lets me kill almost everything
within two turns. I feel like I'm playing the Terminator.

And now it's time to knock on the Wizard's door...

--
Bobby Schmidt

aladar

Bobby Schmidt wrote:
> * A bag of holding 100 turns after blowing one up.
> * Three magic lamps.
> * A wand of wishing outside the Castle.
> * Speed boots, power gauntlets, magic-resistance cloak, and
> Hawaiian shirt.
> * Four luckstones outside the Mines.
> * Cleaver in the Castle storeroom, after I'd elevated to "expert"
> with axe. (Playing a chaotic, the only artifact I ever wish for
> is the Master Key of Thievery.)
> * Plus two rich bones files.

> And now it's time to knock on the Wizard's door...

Sounds like the RNG has favored you thus far... and that only means bad
news later. =p Anyway, good luck.

Bobby Schmidt <BobbySchmidt@mac.com.invalid> wrote:

> This Cleaver is powerful. I'm mowing down enemies at the rate of
> 25-30 HP/swing. Being "very fast" lets me kill almost everything
> within two turns. I feel like I'm playing the Terminator.

I'd say #twoweaponing is much more effective than the Cleaver, even with
only non-artifacts, say two +6 long swords.

d8+d4+d6 (Cleaver, average = 10,5)(2d4+2d6 againt large)
+6 (strength)
+6 (enchantment)
+2 (expert skill)
----
24,5 average damage against small monsters, 27,5pts against large

d8 (long sword, average = 4,5)(d12 against large)
+6 (strength)
+6 (enchantment)
-1 (basic skill in two-weapon)
----
15,5
x2 (two weapons)
----
31 average against small monsters, 35 against large

Please point out possible errors in my calculations...

-Heikki

Heikki Moilanen:

> I'd say #twoweaponing is much more effective than the Cleaver, even with
> only non-artifacts, say two +6 long swords.
>
> [math elided]
>
> Please point out possible errors in my calculations...

I thought about this at the start, but decided to stay with Cleaver:

* I'd never before used it, or any other two-handed weapon. I wanted to
try something new.

* I was already at "expert" with my starting axe and wanted to take
advantage of that expertise.

* Cleaver fell into my lap, by showing up in the storeroom. It was a sign!

* I usually stop enchanting weapons and armor when they are "good enough"
rather than optimal. If my weapon enchants to +6 and my armor to +4,
I leave them there instead of working to eek out one more point. When
my character could reliably level a minotaur in three or four slices
while taking zero (or hardly any) damage, I figured the weapon & armor
were good enough.

* I usually play chaotic Priests, and ascend with either my starting mace
or Stormbringer. (I don't sacrifice for artifacts much.) The combination
of Barbarian and Cleaver seemed quite potent in comparison.

* I always muck up two-weaponing. Inevitably I'll have to periodically
wield some third thing (usually a pick axe), switch back to my real
weapon, then forget to activate two-weaponing. I've just found from
playing that single-weaponing fits me better.

--
Bobby Schmidt

Bobby Schmidt <BobbySchmidt@mac.com.invalid> wrote:

> This Cleaver is powerful. I'm mowing down enemies at the rate of
> 25-30 HP/swing. Being "very fast" lets me kill almost everything
> within two turns. I feel like I'm playing the Terminator.
>
> And now it's time to knock on the Wizard's door...

Has anyone ever been killed by a newt on the Astral Plane?
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

Bobby Schmidt wrote:
> Heikki Moilanen:
>
>> I'd say #twoweaponing is much more effective than the Cleaver, even with
>> only non-artifacts, say two +6 long swords.
>>
>> [math elided]
>>
>> Please point out possible errors in my calculations...
>

> I thought about this at the start, but decided to stay with Cleaver:

> * Cleaver fell into my lap, by showing up in the storeroom. It was a sign!

I think at this point a little bit of humility and thanks before the RNG
are *entirely* called for! Saying, "Thank you, RNG, I will use this
weapon you have given me, along with the luckstones, bags of holding,
wishes, light sources, armor..."

I don't think he'll have *any* trouble on astral :-D

--LWM

Little White Mouse <lwm@verizon.net>:
> I think at this point a little bit of humility and thanks before the RNG
> are *entirely* called for! Saying, "Thank you, RNG, I will use this
> weapon you have given me, along with the luckstones, bags of holding,
> wishes, light sources, armor..."
>
> I don't think he'll have *any* trouble on astral :-D

And indeed I did not, as my fortune continued:

* After his first death, the wizard appeared again only once
within the dungeon.
* On Earth I needed four wand blasts to reach the portal.
* In Air I was engulfed zero times by elementals, and pretty much
floated straight to the portal.
* On Fire the portal was the fourth "gold" spot I tried.
* I wasted a little time on Water because a spellbook drifted atop
the portal, but otherwise had no difficulty.
* On Astral my altar was the first one I tried (guarded by Death).

I'd forgotten how simple a straight-ahead no-spell character
could be.

--
Bobby Schmidt

Daniel W. Johnson wrote:
> Bobby Schmidt <BobbySchmidt@mac.com.invalid> wrote:
>

>>This Cleaver is powerful. I'm mowing down enemies at the rate of
>>25-30 HP/swing. Being "very fast" lets me kill almost everything
>>within two turns. I feel like I'm playing the Terminator.
>>
>>And now it's time to knock on the Wizard's door...
>

> Has anyone ever been killed by a newt on the Astral Plane?
Yes - Marvin.

panoptes@iquest.net (Daniel W. Johnson) wrote:

>Has anyone ever been killed by a newt on the Astral Plane?

Wilfully, yes. See the thread starting at
<e5b0fecb.0311180936.648b9738@posting.google.com>.

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de

Quoting Bobby Schmidt <BobbySchmidt@Mac.com>:
>* On Fire the portal was the fourth "gold" spot I tried.

Use confused gold detection on Fire, not cursed.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Gloucesterday, April.

David Damerell:

> Quoting Bobby Schmidt:
> >* On Fire the portal was the fourth "gold" spot I tried.
>
> Use confused gold detection on Fire, not cursed.

I did not know that -- thank you!

--
Bobby Schmidt