When it rains my router acts strange

Jul 17, 2018
I have a modem/router combo called the Smart RG. Whenever it rains, my internet cuts out and I go into the browser and it says 'internet is online in routed mode with an IP address of _____'. Nothing loads in any browser and the browsers say that there is no internet connection. But tonight, it started raining, same thing happened, but I noticed that a torrent I had started downloading earlier was still downloading at the same speed (and uploading). Why is this?

Solution
Suggest you investigate a phone line quality test with your phone provider / ISP. Sometimes bad joints in the line between the exchange and property can get affected by temperature changes and moisture levels. It depends on the age of the line, and its makeup (e.g. copper), or how much of it is above ground.

If you're still getting a connection via some other route, it might suggest something further down the system, i.e. not local to you. Again a phone provider / ISP concern.
Suggest you investigate a phone line quality test with your phone provider / ISP. Sometimes bad joints in the line between the exchange and property can get affected by temperature changes and moisture levels. It depends on the age of the line, and its makeup (e.g. copper), or how much of it is above ground.

If you're still getting a connection via some other route, it might suggest something further down the system, i.e. not local to you. Again a phone provider / ISP concern.

Solution