Question When launching Minecraft, Internet goes down until closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2021
Whenever my Minecraft is launched, my internet goes down except for google websites. The problem usually goes away in a random time or when I close Minecraft. It also sometimes kicks me out of a Minecraft server until the problem fixes itself. I know it is a DNS issue but I've already tried setting my router to the default DNS servers, the google DNS servers, flushing my DNS in the command prompt, and allowing Minecraft through the firewall. I've never encountered this issue before in Minecraft and it only started happening recently. I also tried a clean wipe of windows in desperation but still no solution.

Router Event Logs if it helps. Pastebin

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021
sorry , do you have internet security software installed ? like you said it's most likely a DNS issue , try setting your first DNS to 1.1.1.1 and your second to 8.8.8.8
works for me everytime
Originally I did have my router user cloudflare and google's DNS servers but I thought that was the issue so I set the router back to default DNS servers. I will change it back and see if it could fix the issue.

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
Originally I did have my router user cloudflare and google's DNS servers but I thought that was the issue so I set the router back to default DNS servers. I will change it back and see if it could fix the issue.
yes that's what i do to , when i run into problem with my original DNS , i change it and then i change back when the problem happens again. Big companies have more powerful DNS servers than your ISP

How do you know it is a DNS issue.

What happens if you use a NSLOOKUP command from the command line. Does it resolve the site names.

DNS function is a pretty simple function and I can not see how some program running on the machine would have any effect. Now maybe if it was opening some form of vpn it might have issues but DNS is pretty simple request.

Apr 6, 2021
How do you know it is a DNS issue.

What happens if you use a NSLOOKUP command from the command line. Does it resolve the site names.

DNS function is a pretty simple function and I can not see how some program running on the machine would have any effect. Now maybe if it was opening some form of vpn it might have issues but DNS is pretty simple request.
I'm assuming its a DNS problem as when I looked up "Internet on but only google sites are accessible" a majority of the responses was that it was a DNS issue.

You can't always trust the browsers. It tends to give that message when other things are the actual problem.

I would check with the nslookup command. Try a number of different sites and put different DNS server IP on the end of the command.

I also notices you set you set the DNS in the router. Did you also set it in your pc directly. There is a DNS cache function in many routers that seems to get confused sometimes. You want to put 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 in the dns in the nic settings.

Also check the DNS setting in the browser itself. Chrome and I think firefox you can over ride the DNS in browser which just makes things confusing when you see errors.

Apr 6, 2021
You can't always trust the browsers. It tends to give that message when other things are the actual problem.

I would check with the nslookup command. Try a number of different sites and put different DNS server IP on the end of the command.

I also notices you set you set the DNS in the router. Did you also set it in your pc directly. There is a DNS cache function in many routers that seems to get confused sometimes. You want to put 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 in the dns in the nic settings.

Also check the DNS setting in the browser itself. Chrome and I think firefox you can over ride the DNS in browser which just makes things confusing when you see errors.
The problem seems to be gone for now by changing my DNS server on my router to 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8. If it happens again I'll try our the nslookup command that you suggested.

How did we get side tracked into DNS.

That clearly shows your internet connection is actually going down. The SYNC errors in particular are a big problem. If you get random ones a couple times a month the ISP will likely not be able to find the problem but when you get multiple in short periods of time they should be.
I have not seen the reset the modem message before but that is something the ISP networks is causing.

You can check the power levels on the modem and see what they look like but in many cases SYNC errors are some issue on the ISP equipment. I would try to move the modem to where the cable enters the house and see if the power levels are a lot better. This is mostly to prevent the ISP from blaming the coax wires inside your house. It might be very hard to test actual usage but it would be nice if you could get it to fail hooked up like that.

Your ISP if they have any brains can see those messages, their equipment records them and they can get into your modem remotely and see them. This is almost always a ISP problem so I would call them and see what they say. Do not get into any discussion of minecraft servers etc etc. Just tell them you are getting packet loss when you use the network. Tell them your internet freezes and you get timeouts to ping commands.

Status
Not open for further replies.