[SOLVED] When mining, gpu on 4% cpu on 100%

Nelson Torres

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015
I just started mining, my rig has two rx 290x's but my cpu is a crappy ole Pentium. The issue is when I try to mine any coin on MultiMiner or Minergate I get about 600 h/s total when 60mh/s is what I've been told I will usually receive. when I boot task manager it shows my CPU is at 100% load constantly from running these but the gpus are chilling at a cozy 4%. Why is this ?

Solution
Those mining programs are trash. Sounds like you're mining a CPU coin. Do you even know what you are mining and what you want to mine?

If you want to mine crypto (which it's pointless right now; a waste of energy), setup your own miner with something like Claymore Dual Miner or PheonixMiner for Ether, the second one was faster last time I was mining. If you want to mine another coin you'll have to research the best miners for each coin. If you don't know what you are doing and want to play around I'd recommend Nicehash.

Mining isn't a get rich quick scheme and nobody is gonna do it for you unless you give them your money. It's all a waste of energy right now because it's not profitable. You would be gambling on whether or not another...

2sidedpolygon

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018
Make sure you have it set in the AMD Control Panel (Or whatever they have) to use your GPUs in everything. Also, go through the software itself and make sure you don't have some setting that's making it use your CPU rather than your GPUs.

Those mining programs are trash. Sounds like you're mining a CPU coin. Do you even know what you are mining and what you want to mine?

If you want to mine crypto (which it's pointless right now; a waste of energy), setup your own miner with something like Claymore Dual Miner or PheonixMiner for Ether, the second one was faster last time I was mining. If you want to mine another coin you'll have to research the best miners for each coin. If you don't know what you are doing and want to play around I'd recommend Nicehash.

Mining isn't a get rich quick scheme and nobody is gonna do it for you unless you give them your money. It's all a waste of energy right now because it's not profitable. You would be gambling on whether or not another crypto boom happens. If it doesn't, you're losing money in electricity costs.

Solution

Nelson Torres

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015

The software running is claiming its using the GPUs and I can't access AMD advanced settings. It doesnt give me the option under radeon settings, I'm running 18.9.1 but there is no advanced settings option to choose what the gpus run on.