When mounting RAM, does the order matter?

t_and

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017
Hello,

I've a new PC with an Aorus X399 +TR 1920X together with 4x GSkill Flare X 3200 Cl14 8GB modules.

Eveything works fine except for the RAM, that it apppears in dual-channel in CPU-Z.

I have the 4 modules mounted as the user manual says: 2D-2C-2A-2B

WtaiZYJ.png

But now I realized what the last sentence says
"Note: When installing the memory, make sure to begin with the second socket of each channel, such as DDR4_2_2A, DDR4_4_2B, DDR4_6_2C, or DDR4_8_2D."

Does this mean that when mounting the modules I need to mount the 2_2A first, then 4_2B and so on? Does this really matter? I always though that the mounting order didn't make any diference.

Thanks a lot.

"Does this mean that when mounting the modules I need to mount the 2_2A first, then 4_2B and so on? Does this really matter? I always though that the mounting order didn't make any difference".

Not the order, but the slots. In 4 modules configuration, you have to fill the 2A, 2B and 2C, 2D slots. Not necessarily in this order, but use those slots.

t_and

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017
Hello, thanks for your fast replies.

No they aren't colored. At the moment I already have 2A 2B 2C and 2D populated.

Thats what I thought, that the slots matter and not in what order (which slot before an other) they should be placed.

But what does this sentence mean otherwise?
"Note: When installing the memory, make sure to begin with the second socket of each channel, such as DDR4_2_2A, DDR4_4_2B, DDR4_6_2C, or DDR4_8_2D."

Maybe I should try to shut it down and reput the slots on this order @tolis_gr said (and the one specified on the manual).

Otherwise I don't understand why aren't they working on quad channel :S

Thanks

Hi, no, it means to populate them, based on the number of modules, starting with the second slot.
Why CPU-Z reports only dual is another issue. Have you tried clearing the CMOS (unplug the power cord and remove the CMOS battery for a minute)?
What exact RAM model using?

t_and

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017
Hello alexiou, ok that makes more sense to me.

I looked it up on the BIOS, and there is no where you can choose between dual and quad channel either. Don't know why CPU-Z doesnt recognize it.

No I haven't actually, do you think it could help?

G Skill Flare X 32GB (4x8) 3200Mhz CL14 (F4-3200C14Q-32GFX).
It's a speciall quad kit for Threadripper, so it should actually work :S

Thanks

t_and

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017

I'm not able to see anything in the BIOS about the dual/quad channel :S
Is it possible that the this bios can't tell this info?

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS