When multiple devices are on a single network, can one have a static ip while the others have dynamic?

Yorio

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Hello! I got sick of using Hamachi and am trying to set up a port forward for a minecraft server.

My main issue is the question in the title of this post:

When multiple devices are on a single network, can one be static while the others are dynamic?

Router: Netgear R6300

The devices regularly connected to my router are :
2 Desktop Computers
2 Laptops
PlayStation 4
Xbox One
Xbox 360
2 Nintendo 3DS
6 Cell phones
Any devices that belong to guests when they come over.

I know there is a range from which a router chooses an ip address to give to a device that is connecting, but is it possible to give a computer a static address that is outside of that range so there is no chance of the router giving the address of the computer with the static ip to another device?

If every device connected would need its own static ip address, then I'm not even going to bother.

Solution
That is pretty much the reason the DHCP has a range of IP. You assign static ip to machines outside that range. Anyone that need dynamic will get one from inside the range.

Some router give you the ability to assign a fixed ip via dhcp. The device will get the same ip every time it asks. This is done by putting the mac address into the router and telling what ip to assign. Not all routers have that ability.
That is pretty much the reason the DHCP has a range of IP. You assign static ip to machines outside that range. Anyone that need dynamic will get one from inside the range.

Some router give you the ability to assign a fixed ip via dhcp. The device will get the same ip every time it asks. This is done by putting the mac address into the router and telling what ip to assign. Not all routers have that ability.

Solution

Yorio

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

Ah okay! Thanks for the response!

Quick question if you don't mind. How might I find the range of the DHCP as well as the overall range? I've been looking around and haven't been able to find out where that info is located.

TRENDING THREADS