Question when playing games get graphic issues after my GPU reaches a certain heat (lines coming out of shadows and crashes shortly after)

Jan 11, 2020
this started happening months ago so this is what is happening, my PC is broken somewhere cause when i play games any game game that is the least bit demanding it runs fine but it messes up when my GPU reaches a certain temp. once my GPU passes 70 the game will either just crash or i will experience a whole bunch of lines coming out of the player models of the people or lines coming out of the shadows at first i thought i had a GPU problem cause it was only on games. i tested fur-mark and it was perfectly fine so i dint know what to do so i rma the card and it comes back (brand new card) and its still doing it, i put my old 1060 in my PC and it worked fine so i was really confused then i did a whole bunch of testing and realized my GPU could get to at least 130 before any problems. i went to the CPU next i faced no problems with that then i realized it could be the power supply cause everything runs perfectly fine but ban it soon as my GPU hits a certain temp it messes up so i need help i think its the psu but i cant really tell

pc specs

rtx 2080ti msi gaming trio

i 7-8700k

1000 watt plat psu from corsair (full modular)

and msi z390-a pro

and 2 sticks of ddr4 ram

one is balistics and one is g-skill

nostall

Splendid
Sounds like a heat problem, what case is this in and how is the air flow/cooling? How long since you cleaned the inside? Your PSU is probably o.k., so check on the cooling first. Try opening the case and maybe directing a fan into it while you play; if it doesn't go 'weird' then it is probably a heat issue.
Similar problem years ago and it turned out to be some un-monitored component on the video card would heat up and do much like your's is doing: PC didn't have enough airflow to keep everything cool. Tested card in a much more 'ventilated' case and never had a problem; likewise used MSI Afterburner to set a higher fan RPM profile on the video card and cured the problem until the card was replaced.

Jan 11, 2020
Sounds like a heat problem, what case is this in and how is the air flow/cooling? How long since you cleaned the inside? Your PSU is probably o.k., so check on the cooling first. Try opening the case and maybe directing a fan into it while you play; if it doesn't go 'weird' then it is probably a heat issue.
Similar problem years ago and it turned out to be some un-monitored component on the video card would heat up and do much like your's is doing: PC didn't have enough airflow to keep everything cool. Tested card in a much more 'ventilated' case and never had a problem; likewise used MSI Afterburner to set a higher fan RPM profile on the video card and cured the problem until the card was replaced.
i replaced the card but i will try to open the case

Jan 11, 2020
i have this case https://www.newegg.com/gunmetal-cooler-master-mastercase-h500-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811119350?item=N82E16811119350&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-pc-_-pla-_-cases+(computer+cases+-+atx+form)-_-N82E16811119350&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgebwBRDnARIsAE3eZjTbbCgBURbLZYLA2cHKJ9DAFnrNbgEjHCP1P-z4zgXZYNJccIm-YGgaAiIrEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Ferimer

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
If you think you are having airflow problems you may want to shift it off the floor to be up a little bit higher as well as move it so there is at least an inch or two around the entire case. make sure to clean it at least once a month or 2 times a month depending on your usage.

nostall

Splendid
Wouldn't appear to be air flow but one never can be sure. Try removing the class side panel and directing a fan at the video card while playing and see what happens. Please try this before my next suggestion.
Also can try this if you have access to another computer: Take you vid. card out of your case and install it in the other PC and run it there for a bit. If the problem recurs the problem is the video card.

Jan 11, 2020
Wouldn't appear to be air flow but one never can be sure. Try removing the class side panel and directing a fan at the video card while playing and see what happens. Please try this before my next suggestion.
Also can try this if you have access to another computer: Take you vid. card out of your case and install it in the other PC and run it there for a bit. If the problem recurs the problem is the video card.
i dont have another pc to test that but when i put my old 1060 back it it works like nothing happened

Ferimer

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
i did update it at soon as i got it through geforce experience
Please download DDU - https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2608
Download the latest drivers for your GPU on the official website.
  • Start DDU and choose "reboot in safe mode"
  • While in safe mode start DDU and choose at the right "Nvidia"
  • Click on "Clean and reboot" recommended option
  • After the reboot install the drivers package you downloaded. Do not install Geforce Experience with it.
  • Reboot.
  • Try again.

nostall

Splendid
Just looked up the themal limit for that card and it is 89C (192 F). 70C should not be causing a problem. Try the fan and let us know what happens. How are you monitoring temperature and is it Celsius or Fahrenheit?

Zizo007

Notable
Feb 23, 2019
Are you overclocking?

If not, it sounds like a dying GPU. High temps don't cause artifacting, it causes throttling and high fan noise.
I would RMA the card asap.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS