Question When playing games, my computer randomly turns off

Jul 21, 2022
Hi,

I've had this issue with my PC since I built it at the start of 2021. When I play games, for some reason, my computer will randomly turn off. To be able to turn it on again, I have to turn the power supply off with the little switch (or unplug the cable), wait for the motherboard lights to go out, and then turn it on again (or plug the cable back in). At first, I thought it was an overheating issue, so I ran a few benchmarks, taking my CPU and GPU up to 99% and both around 70 degrees Celcius. At no point did the computer turn off.

When the computer turns off, there is no error/warning, monitors go black, everything in the case turns off, apart from the power button (stays backlit) and the motherboard backlights.

For whatever reason, if I limit my FPS to 60, it reduces the issue from happening, but definitely doesn't stop it. The problem is, I have no idea what the cause of the problem is, so I have no idea how to stop it. From what I can see, it appears to be completely random, but only when playing games. If I'm doing work on my computer, or watching netflix etc, it doesn't happen. So I would therfore, logically, assume that something triggers it.

My full specs are as follows (including accessories):
PC Case - Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid-Tower
Case Fans (x3) - Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm
Power supply - EVGA BQ 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Mobo - Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS ATX AM4 (not WiFi - I use a dongle)
Storage - Main drive: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage - 2nd drive: 1TB HDD out of an old laptop (brand unknown)
GPU - MSI RADEON RX 5700 XT MECH OC
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3800X

Any help would be amazing.

Callum

Hi,

I've had this issue with my PC since I built it at the start of 2021. When I play games, for some reason, my computer will randomly turn off. To be able to turn it on again, I have to turn the power supply off with the little switch (or unplug the cable), wait for the motherboard lights to go out, and then turn it on again (or plug the cable back in). At first, I thought it was an overheating issue, so I ran a few benchmarks, taking my CPU and GPU up to 99% and both around 70 degrees Celcius. At no point did the computer turn off.

When the computer turns off, there is no error/warning, monitors go black, everything in the case turns off, apart from the power button (stays backlit) and the motherboard backlights.

For whatever reason, if I limit my FPS to 60, it reduces the issue from happening, but definitely doesn't stop it. The problem is, I have no idea what the cause of the problem is, so I have no idea how to stop it. From what I can see, it appears to be completely random, but only when playing games. If I'm doing work on my computer, or watching netflix etc, it doesn't happen. So I would therfore, logically, assume that something triggers it.

My full specs are as follows (including accessories):
PC Case - Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid-Tower
Case Fans (x3) - Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm
Power supply - EVGA BQ 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Mobo - Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS ATX AM4 (not WiFi - I use a dongle)
Storage - Main drive: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage - 2nd drive: 1TB HDD out of an old laptop (brand unknown)
GPU - MSI RADEON RX 5700 XT MECH OC
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3800X

Any help would be amazing.

Callum
It says on the MSI website that the recommended PSU for your card is 750W so perhaps the issue is your 600W unit isn't enough.
https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/Radeon-RX-5700-XT-MECH-OC/Specification
It could be a transient power spike issue. Check out this video.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRyyCsuHFQ&t=2s

You can test the theory by using MSI Afterburner to reduce the power limit to your graphics card. This will reduce the clockspeed the card will boost too and how much power is used. If the shutdowns stop then it points towards this being the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheWorkingNerd