Question When playing windowed (Fullscreen) games, other apps, including desktop animations, have drastic performance drops ?

Orbit Storm

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2014
Diablo 4 and World of Warcraft are the two games I've tested using windowed (Fullscreen); all other pure fullscreen games work just fine. When either aforementioned game is minimized or out of focus, the framerate on everything else suffers dramatically. Scrolling, tabbing, un/minimizing other windows such as task manager, etc. Even the minimize animation becomes a slideshow. After a period of time of minimizing the game too frequently (i.e., to use my browser for game info etc), the game's performance begins to deteriorate as well, sometimes even leading to a total freeze.

I want to be clear that this behavior was not present on Windows 10 with the same settings. I've also tried setting a generous frame rate limit for the Background FPS setting with no luck. My wife upgraded to Win11 the same day I did and is using the same graphics driver on an RTX 2060 @ 1080p, same game settings, without issues.

Windows Info
Edition: Windows 11 Home
Version: 22H2
Installed on: ‎6/‎3/‎2023
OS build: 22621.1778
Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22642.1000.0

System Specs:
  • i9-10900K @ 3.70GHz
  • PRIME Z490-P
  • 32 GB DDR4-3600MHz Thermaltake TOUGHRAM
  • MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3070 @ 1440p
  • 1TB WD Blue SN550 M.2
Currently using NVIDIA GRD version 535.98 and this is a fresh install with a driver wipe in safe mode, after the Win11 upgrade.

bacca400

Prominent
Apr 16, 2022
Are your games installed on an SSD or HDD?

Also how much room is left on the c: drive? And on the drives where the games are installed? You have plenty of memory so Windows shouldn't need much of a page file.

How many tabs do you have open in all your browser windows when you play the games? That can take up a LOT of memory sometimes.

And Chrome uses so much memory that it's ridiculous, just go look at the Task Manager and the memory Chrome uses. I use the Brave browser, which uses Chromium (also used by Chrome), I have 7 tabs open in 2 Brave windows, but 22 Brave processes are running.