Question When plugged in, cpu draws 11W and Laptop heats to 101C on idle

Jan 9, 2023
Hello, recently when I plug in my laptop to charge CPU (Ryzen 5 3550H) starts drawing 11W, and heats to 98-101C on idle, on idle CPU draws 3-4W and heats to 40-50C. I have tried
  • Changing the power plan
  • Changing the default GPU (Nvidia control panel)
  • Setting Maximize Battery instead of Maximize Peformacne
Any help?
Thanks.

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
Hello, recently when I plug in my laptop to charge CPU (Ryzen 5 3550H) starts drawing 11W, and heats to 98-101C on idle, on idle CPU draws 3-4W and heats to 40-50C. I have tried
  • Changing the power plan
  • Changing the default GPU (Nvidia control panel)
  • Setting Maximize Battery instead of Maximize Peformacne
Any help?
Thanks.
Is it getting to 101 under load? or Idle? That CPU has a max operating temp of 105 degrees so if that is the temps under load that might be normal (for a laptop's cooling solution anyways). It's a relatively new CPU so the laptop that it was placed on should be at most 4 years old. You can try to clear some dust from the system to unclog airflow, that will surely help if it has never been cleaned. A repasting might also help if you feel qualified enough to do it, I know thermal pastes usually have a life span of 6-8 years but factory pastes are typically cheap junk compared to third party solutions like Arctic Silver 5.

You can also try undervolting your CPU, but be careful.

Jan 9, 2023
Is it getting to 101 under load? or Idle? That CPU has a max operating temp of 105 degrees so if that is the temps under load that might be normal (for a laptop's cooling solution anyways). It's a relatively new CPU so the laptop that it was placed on should be at most 4 years old. You can try to clear some dust from the system to unclog airflow, that will surely help if it has never been cleaned. A repasting might also help if you feel qualified enough to do it, I know thermal pastes usually have a life span of 6-8 years but factory pastes are typically cheap junk compared to third party solutions like Arctic Silver 5.

You can also try undervolting your CPU, but be careful.
No under heavy load (example flight sim 2020) it stays in 90C sometimes it spikes to 101C

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
No under heavy load (example flight sim 2020) it stays in 90C sometimes it spikes to 101C
Someone may correct me if I am wrong but that seems normal. That is a hot CPU and consistent 90s with occasional 100 spikes sounds fine. Do you want to try to clean the dust from the system and attempt a repaste? That can help drop you a few degrees if your system is dirty. Undervolting the CPU will also definitely help lower temps. Do you have quiet fan profiles enabled? That typically sacrifices thermal performance for a quieter fan speed.

Jan 9, 2023
Someone may correct me if I am wrong but that seems normal. That is a hot CPU and consistent 90s with occasional 100 spikes sounds fine. Do you want to try to clean the dust from the system and attempt a repaste? That can help drop you a few degrees if your system is dirty. Undervolting the CPU will also definitely help lower temps. Do you have quiet fan profiles enabled? That typically sacrifices thermal performance for a quieter fan speed.
nope fans are at full speed all the time

TRENDING THREADS