Question When plugged in, laptop screen goes black while playing certain games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2019
So recently I've been noticing that when I play certain games, just after a minute or two my screen just goes black.

Only thing I can do is turn off my laptop, I can still hear things in the background but the screen just turns off.
This doesn't happen in any other context, just playing certain games like CSGO, Rainbow Six siege, sims 4, and minecraft. I play other games like Red dead redemption 2, cod mw, or rocket league and I can play for hours and this never happens.

I've run several bechmarks and stress test to my gpu and everything goes just fine, I tried uninstalling some windows updates just in case, I've tried completely reinstalling my graphics drivers, but nothing seems to make a difference.

The only thing I tried that works is not having my laptop plugged in.
Now this is weird because I've always used my laptop plugged in when gaming and I've never had this happen before.
With the same games I mention above, if I don't plug my laptop everything goes just fine.

I have an HP Omen;
i7 8750H
rtx2060
16gb of ram
Windows 10 pro

I use a cooling base so my temps never go past 80 (max)

I'd really like to know if you guys think is a problem of the charger or if its something more, because I have this laptop less than a year so I could send it to warrant but I want to make sure.

Lutfij

Titan
Use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and source the latest found off of Nvidia's support site. Make sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS update and we're also going to need to know which version of Windows 10 you're working with.

Are you undervolting that processor?

Nov 18, 2019
Use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and source the latest found off of Nvidia's support site. Make sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS update and we're also going to need to know which version of Windows 10 you're working with.

Are you undervolting that processor?

My laptop doesn't seem to have an integrated gpu on device manager, so I'm afraid that if I uninstall the graphic drivers completely it wont be able to display anything.

I'm on Windows 10 pro.

Yes, I usually undervolt my processor. I use Intel Extreme, these are the settings I use:
core voltage offset = -0.120V
Turbo boost short power max= disable

Also I normally put my cpu max usage at 99% in energy options to disable turbo boost when I don't need it.

Apart from that, I've never touched the gpu.

Just as a guess, could it be something wrong with the electric installation? Because I've been testing in another place, plugged in, with one of those games and I havent got problems so far, but I cant say it for sure yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.