Question When plugged into my modem I get a higher download speed.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 31, 2019
So lately I've been downloading things very slowly. When I go to speedtest.net my download speed is always somewhere between 800-940 mbs/s. But when I download any games or anything I won't download faster than 2MB/s. When plugged into my modem I download at 70-80MB/s. I've looked through my router and uPnP isn't enabled, neither is dynamic QoS, or the traffic meter. It's been like this for almost 2 years and when I call my ISP they say the issue isn't on their end and leave it at that. When one of their technicians came over they couldn't figure out either, so they left and I still had to pay for their "help". I have tried googling and researching everything I can and can't find a solution, so any suggestions are appreciated, thank you.

Jan 31, 2019
What are you using to check your download speed?

Try this.
Open Control Panel.
Click Network and Sharing Center.
On the left pane click on Change adapter settings.
Right click the network device (Local are network) and select Properties from the popup menu.
Click the Configure button.
Select the Advanced tab.

From the Property list, switch the connection type to either 100Mbps Half Duplex, or 100Mbps Full Duplex.
Test your download speed with both settings.
Neither of those options are there for me.

TRENDING THREADS