When plugging in a device it doesn't register it as plugged in until I restart my PC

jadam18

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018
This has been happening for the past 3 weeks or so after transferring my OS from an SSD to an m.2. Whenever I plug something in there is no connection noise notification and the device I plug in isn't usable until I restart my PC. It's not even detected as another devcie. Not sure if its related but when I go to enable/disable and install/uninstall drivers I have to boot into safe mode. Anyways, I have tried uninstalling & reinstalling USB drivers but that didn't work. Everything was working fine until the hardware change. Any help is appreciated!

Specs:
- i7 7700k
- ASRock pro4 z170
- 16gb ddr4
- 256gb WD m.2 (Windows Drive)
- 1TB Hybrid Drive(Game Drive)
- 2x GTX 970

gigantusmagnus

Reputable
Dec 22, 2017
this answer copied from old thread, try it :
This is a common problem with windows. Go to the control panel, device manager and down to the bottom of the list and expand the USB devices. Open all of the USB root hubs and uncheck the power management there. The various windows updates may reset these back to the default to allow windows to manage the power for the USB ports. Make sure to verify that the power management is turned off for all USB root hubs. A word of caution with this setting, make sure that you go to the system tray and stop the services before removing any USB device. If you don't over time the USB ports can become damaged and burned out. Then it would require a motherboard replacement to fix the problem.

jadam18

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018

I've already tried this solution a while back and unfortunately it didn't work.