Question When plying with G-SYNC new monitor occasionally goes black for several seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 7, 2020
Hi folks,

I have an issue with my new monitor and looking for some clarification and potential ideas.

The monitor in question is new Dell S2721DGF: https://www.dell.com/ng/business/p/dell-s2721dgf-monitor/pd?~ck=anav
It's connected via DisplayPort to a Geforce1070, which has two other monitors connected to it.

When running games (haven't noticed it in Windows or when watching Videos etc.) the screen just goes black occasionally. Everything else continues working, so the other monitors continue to display stuff and sound continues working. I believe it only happens with G-SYNC activated and with varying intensity. On average I would say I get a black screen once every 3-10 minutes. I would not classify it as "flickering", it's more like the screen goes black for a whole ~3 seconds and afterwards it just continues working.

I've read about flickering issues with G-SYNC, especially on G-SYNC-compatible monitors (i.e. not native G-SYNC) when dropping below the supported range. In this case the supported range is 48 Hz - 165 Hz. But here's the thing: when running the G-SYNC Pendulum Demo on stable 60fps, I get these black screens as well. That's well above the lower threshold. I believe loweing the fps to 40 increased the frequency somewhat, but not significantly.

And even then: it surely can't be normal for any G-SYNC monitor to just black out for 3 second when the fps drops below ~48?

Here's what I've tried without success:

• Use the most recent driver (451.67)
  • Use the most recent hotfix driver (451.85)
  • Clean driver with DDU and reinstall
  • Update BIOS
  • Update GPU firmware (something with DP 1.4)
  • Use different Display Port cable
  • Use different power socket for monitor
  • Try different games & Pendulum demo
  • Use CRU to edit the Freesync range, I've tried loweing and upping the lower threshold by 5-10
  • Edit: I've also tried both Fullscreen and Windowed mode both in driver settings for G-SYNC and in-game
Other system specs:

• 8GB MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Armor 8G OC Edition
  • 500 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 10 CM Modular 80+
  • Intel Core i7 7700K
  • 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V schwarz DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16
  • MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon Intel Z270 So.1151
I have the following questions in particular:

1) Please tell me something is wrong here. That can't be a normal situation and does not classify as "G-SYNC flickering", which apparently is to be expected with G-SYNC compatible monitors?!

2) Assuming the answer is no: Anything else that I could try? Or should I RMA the device and hope I just got unlucky with a faulty monitor?

Thanks a lot!

Reactions: Eusi
Aug 13, 2020
Does anyone have an idea? Especially weather this sounds like a case for RMA or if it's likely to be another issue?

Thanks!

I am having the same issue. Tried all steps you listed and more with no fix. I did find the drops end if I disable one of my other monitors and only run 2. I am at a loss.

Aug 13, 2020
I am having the same issue. Tried all steps you listed and more with no fix. I did find the drops end if I disable one of my other monitors and only run 2. I am at a loss.

Just to be clear on this, I am only gaming on the center monitor, which is the 2721. The other two are just extended for other apps/programs. I get the blackouts only when gaming and only on the 2721 as the other monitors work fine.

I have not tested using all 3 in surround yet for gaming, but will try to see if any drops occur as well.

Aug 7, 2020
Just to be clear on this, I am only gaming on the center monitor, which is the 2721. The other two are just extended for other apps/programs. I get the blackouts only when gaming and only on the 2721 as the other monitors work fine.

I have not tested using all 3 in surround yet for gaming, but will try to see if any drops occur as well.

Yes, it's the exact same behavior in my case, except I've never tried disconnecting one of the "side monitors" and if that has any impact on the back screens of the "main monitor" (the Dell, running the games with G-SYNC active).

I might just try that this weekend.

I've also talked to DELL and they will send me a replacement device, I'll see how that goes.

My hope is, that it's actually an issue with the device and it'll just work with the other device. If the is not the case, my best guess would be it's an issue with the PSU (of the computer that is). I only have 500W which might be on the lower end to power the GPU with 3 active monitors, one of them with G-SYNC. That could also explain why you don't experience the problem when running fewer monitors? Maybe I'm on the wrong track here, but it sounds somewhat plausible to me.

Aug 13, 2020
Yes, it's the exact same behavior in my case, except I've never tried disconnecting one of the "side monitors" and if that has any impact on the back screens of the "main monitor" (the Dell, running the games with G-SYNC active).

I might just try that this weekend.

I've also talked to DELL and they will send me a replacement device, I'll see how that goes.

My hope is, that it's actually an issue with the device and it'll just work with the other device. If the is not the case, my best guess would be it's an issue with the PSU (of the computer that is). I only have 500W which might be on the lower end to power the GPU with 3 active monitors, one of them with G-SYNC. That could also explain why you don't experience the problem when running fewer monitors? Maybe I'm on the wrong track here, but it sounds somewhat plausible to me.

Let me know how it all goes. I was thinking it was the monitor that was defective, but with it working with zero issues when I cut one of the other monitors off, that made me question more.
I am running a 750psu along with 2 other 144hz G-Sync monitors. 1080ti using dp for all. I am thinking 3 things, GPU, Windows, DP cable as the issue. I have tried a few cheap dp cables with no fix, but I just ordered a 1.4 vesa certified dp cable just to rule that out further. It really screams as a driver issue. Even though I fully clean installed the latest Nvidia driver, it is the first release supporting this Dell. Perhaps they missed something with it and when 3 monitors are in use....

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020
Tested again last night and Surround failed as I would lose signal on the 2721 while other monitors worked fine. Also tested it with each of my other monitors in dual configuration and I had zero issues. It is mainly when 3 monitors are in use and only during gaming that I get the black screen momentarily on the 2721.

I just keep thinking this is a driver issue. I am going to try again tonight and do a full clean install of Nvidia drivers/software and also monitor drivers. I will then try new 1.4 dp cable when it arrives on Monday. If all fails, I will RA it next week with Dell.....

Aug 7, 2020
So I'm still on the first device since UPS has not yet picked it up.
I tested yesterday evening and today for a couple of hours with the setup you've suggested, so with only 2 monitors connected.

From what I can tell so far, I have zero issues in G-SYNC games. I'll do some more testing, but I'm almost sure that I can replicate your experience. Not a single black screen so far.

For reference, I now have the 2721 connected via DP and an older 60Hz monitor via HDMI. I've disconnected my other 144Hz, non G-SYNC, monitor that was connected via DVI.

Would be very interesing to hear from other people, if they have the same experience with 3 monitors which would support the theory that it's maybe driver related.

Aug 13, 2020
So I'm still on the first device since UPS has not yet picked it up.
I tested yesterday evening and today for a couple of hours with the setup you've suggested, so with only 2 monitors connected.

From what I can tell so far, I have zero issues in G-SYNC games. I'll do some more testing, but I'm almost sure that I can replicate your experience. Not a single black screen so far.

For reference, I now have the 2721 connected via DP and an older 60Hz monitor via HDMI. I've disconnected my other 144Hz, non G-SYNC, monitor that was connected via DVI.

Would be very interesing to hear from other people, if they have the same experience with 3 monitors which would support the theory that it's maybe driver related.

Not a surprise as I figured it would work for you also. I did final testing last night and went ahead and boxed it up with an RA sent in. It is certainly a g sync issue with the drops occurring when fps drops to 40 or less when all 3 monitors are used. To me, that points to Nvidia driver since it enables g sync for the 2721.
I really liked the picture quality on this, but g sync is a major need for me and this was poorly executed. Think I will just pick up a 3rd 2716dg if I can find one since it has g sync built in with no firmware needed to enable.

Sep 25, 2020
Thanks OP for posting this. It is the exact same issue I am running into with my recently arrived S2721DGF. I am running a 1080 Ti with the DGF as my primary, my second monitor to the right is an older S2716DG (144 Hz GSync) and to my left is an even older Samsung 60 Hz.

When I have all 3 monitors running and go into a full screen game with my DGF, I run into the black screen flicker that lasts for a few seconds before returning to normal. Have changed cables, updated drivers, tried playing with the refresh rates, nothing works. Only way to avoid the issue is to turn off my 3rd monitor and run duals again.

The weird thing is if I run the full screen game on my older S2716DG monitor, it runs perfectly fine and everyone gets along. However that is pointless as I got the DGF for gaming... I have tested and seen it with two full screen games so far, Modern Warfare and Nier Automata.

Aug 7, 2020
Thanks OP for posting this. It is the exact same issue I am running into with my recently arrived S2721DGF. I am running a 1080 Ti with the DGF as my primary, my second monitor to the right is an older S2716DG (144 Hz GSync) and to my left is an even older Samsung 60 Hz.

When I have all 3 monitors running and go into a full screen game with my DGF, I run into the black screen flicker that lasts for a few seconds before returning to normal. Have changed cables, updated drivers, tried playing with the refresh rates, nothing works. Only way to avoid the issue is to turn off my 3rd monitor and run duals again.

The weird thing is if I run the full screen game on my older S2716DG monitor, it runs perfectly fine and everyone gets along. However that is pointless as I got the DGF for gaming... I have tested and seen it with two full screen games so far, Modern Warfare and Nier Automata.
I'm sorry your're also experiencing this. Unfortunately I can't contribute much. I've returned the Dell monitor and got the asus pg279q instead. No issues there at all. So I can at least with some certainty rule out other components.

No sure if it's just bad luck for some of us, because I'd imagine almost everyone running the S2721DGF would use GSync and 3 monitors are very common as well but still this does not seem like a widespread issue.

Oct 3, 2020
Im so sad to see this is not just me and no resolution exists yet. I just got a replacement S2721DGF from Dell (replacing my fualty S2716DG). and now suffer the same fate as you guys. so I can confirm that the setup with 3 montors including my old monitor worked fine, but the new monitor instantly started with the issue after replacing the old. only thing i did do was update my drivers directly after replacing it. the old driver did not have the monitor as certified. So is this a monitor issue or a driver issue? now I habe to contact dell again and tell them the replacement is not working for me, but what will they do next , out of monitor options to replace with. probably a refund of some nature. feeling sad really...

Oct 23, 2020
I have recieved my S2721DGF 2 days ago and Im experiencing the same issue, slightly differently. I only have a Dell U2312HM set up next to my S2721DGF. Sometimes It goes hours without blacking out (screen turns off but white led is still on), and then it may black out for 1-2 seconds every 5-10 seconds. Turning the monitor off and on again fixes it for a while. The issue is not tied to games.
System specs: Win 10, i5-7500, GTX 1070, displayport cable, monitor is set 120 Hz and primary.

Status
Not open for further replies.