[SOLVED] When powered on, PC turns on and Immediately off.

TechGuy45

Honorable
Dec 25, 2014
So this has been going on for quite a while but it hasn't been a real issue. When I first turn on PC on, it powers for about half a second and then shuts down. But when I press the power again it turns on alright and everything is fine after that. I am assuming this is an issue with the power supply but I am not positive and don't have an extra PSU lying around to test my theory. Has anyone else had this issue?

EDIT: System Specs
CPU: FX-8320
GPU: MSI 1070
RAM: Corsair Vengence 2x4Gb
Mobo: Gigabyte 970a-d3p
PSU: Antec 650w TruePower Trio

Last edited:
Solution
When you have been overclocking - in effect you are in an indirect way, modifying your BIOS in some sorts. It's generally always safer to do it through the BIOS first. But third party OC programs will still have to modify core settings.
I would still reset your BIOS / clear CMOS - then potentially update to latest BIOS first. Gets firmware out of the way then. I would also then try and boot without any peroipherals attached. You could eventually end up looking at driver conflicts, or even removing RAM to see if the computer will boot as hardware is removed. But get firmware / software out the way first.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
First of all it would be useful to see your entire system spec. Have you been overclocking in any way?

First I would reset your bios to default configuration, especially ensuring your RAM timings and CPU clock are default. The OC on either of these can cause boot loop issues on many motherboards.

TechGuy45

Honorable
Dec 25, 2014
First of all it would be useful to see your entire system spec. Have you been overclocking in any way?

First I would reset your bios to default configuration, especially ensuring your RAM timings and CPU clock are default. The OC on either of these can cause boot loop issues on many motherboards.

I have been doing a CPU overclock through AMD overdrive but this issue hasn't always been since I've overclocked so I do not think that is the issue. Also I have not done anything to my bios, so I am doubtful on that as well.

Also it isn't really a boot loop. It is just when i press the power button the first time it turns on and off imediately but does not continue. When I press the power button the second time, it loads just fine.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
When you have been overclocking - in effect you are in an indirect way, modifying your BIOS in some sorts. It's generally always safer to do it through the BIOS first. But third party OC programs will still have to modify core settings.
I would still reset your BIOS / clear CMOS - then potentially update to latest BIOS first. Gets firmware out of the way then. I would also then try and boot without any peroipherals attached. You could eventually end up looking at driver conflicts, or even removing RAM to see if the computer will boot as hardware is removed. But get firmware / software out the way first.

Solution