[SOLVED] When refreshing the dekstop, Icons turn white for a very brief moment and then appear as they should.

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
When I refresh the desktop by right clicking on the desktop and choosing "Refresh", Icons turn white for like a split of a second(very briefly) before re-appearing...

is there a way to get rid of the white icons ?

I already deleted and rebuilt the icon cache...I also did sfc /scannow ...

Is it just me or is this behaviour normal ? what happens when you refresh your desktop ? Do Icons turn white for like a split of a second ?

Solution
It sometimes does that if you do it right after start-up of OS or your HDD is at a very high usage (cause of the first one as well).

When turning on your PC, wait about 5-10 minutes then look at Task Manager and check 'Disk Usage'. If Disk Usage for the drive that stores your OS is high then this is likely to be the cause.

I recommend doing the following:

1. Use 'Defragment and Optimise Drives' to optimise all of your HDDs.
  2. RESTART your PC. Use the actual 'Restart' and not just shutdown and turning it on again.
  3. Back up your data in case your HDDs are actually dying out and prepare yourself to get a new one.

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
It sometimes does that if you do it right after start-up of OS or your HDD is at a very high usage (cause of the first one as well).

When turning on your PC, wait about 5-10 minutes then look at Task Manager and check 'Disk Usage'. If Disk Usage for the drive that stores your OS is high then this is likely to be the cause.

I recommend doing the following:

1. Use 'Defragment and Optimise Drives' to optimise all of your HDDs.
  2. RESTART your PC. Use the actual 'Restart' and not just shutdown and turning it on again.
  3. Back up your data in case your HDDs are actually dying out and prepare yourself to get a new one.

Solution