[SOLVED] When Running Games Getting Black Screen of Death.

Jan 23, 2021
So I have recently built my PC with the following specs:
AMD Ryzen 3600
Nvida rtx 2070
B450 Tommahawk Max motherboard
EVGA 600w 80+ white PSU 100-W1-0600-K3
Corsair vengeance LPX 2x8B sticks
M.2 SSD

So my PC runs fine I can load windows and go about my daily tasks. However whenever I put any significant load on the GPU I get a black screen of death.

Troubleshooting so far:
It has the most current Nvida driver for the 2070 installed. I have ran DDU to install correct drivers as well as trying a previous driver. Considering games run for a little bit then I get a BSOD I think it’s not the driver.

I have also have Open Hardware monitor and watched the temps of the GPU and CPU just before the BSOD the temps are not high at all. CPU ranges between 55-65 degrees and GPU is in the 60s. Correct me if I am wrong but this seems normal. There is No over clocking

Running the Heaven benchmarks in safe mode means that the graphics card is no longer detected within Hardware monitor and the benchmark software is running at below 10 FPS on the lowest resolution I assume because it isn’t using the graphics card.

Conclusion: I am assuming that the graphics card is not getting enough power to keep rending the images to the screen. The PC is still running as the rgb fans and audio are still working. I am running my PC and monitor off of a 13 amp extension lead so I don’t think that is the issue. Either the psu isn’t rated high enough for the 2070 or there is another power issue.

I have also had pink small lines across the whole screen which are also indicators of a power issue I think. I put my components into a wattage calculator and it came with under 400w.

Any help is much appreciated!

Solution
Tier D • Recommended only for very cheap, iGPU systems
EVGA | W1

Your PSU is a Tier D PSU and it's probably what is causing your issues here.

The RTX 2070 recommended PSU is a GOOD model PSU of 650 Watts or so.
So I have recently built my PC with the following specs:
AMD Ryzen 3600
Nvida rtx 2070
B450 Tommahawk Max motherboard
EVGA 600w 80+ white PSU 100-W1-0600-K3
Corsair vengeance LPX 2x8B sticks
M.2 SSD

So my PC runs fine I can load windows and go about my daily tasks. However whenever I put any significant load on the GPU I get a black screen of death.

Troubleshooting so far:
It has the most current Nvida driver for the 2070 installed. I have ran DDU to install correct drivers as well as trying a previous driver. Considering games run for a little bit then I get a BSOD I think it’s not the driver.

I have also have Open Hardware monitor and watched the temps of the GPU and CPU just before the BSOD the temps are not high at all. CPU ranges between 55-65 degrees and GPU is in the 60s. Correct me if I am wrong but this seems normal. There is No over clocking

Running the Heaven benchmarks in safe mode means that the graphics card is no longer detected within Hardware monitor and the benchmark software is running at below 10 FPS on the lowest resolution I assume because it isn’t using the graphics card.

Conclusion: I am assuming that the graphics card is not getting enough power to keep rending the images to the screen. The PC is still running as the rgb fans and audio are still working. I am running my PC and monitor off of a 13 amp extension lead so I don’t think that is the issue. Either the psu isn’t rated high enough for the 2070 or there is another power issue.

I have also had pink small lines across the whole screen which are also indicators of a power issue I think. I put my components into a wattage calculator and it came with under 400w.

Any help is much appreciated!
You made sure your power cords are secrured into the gpu and psu if its modular

Jan 23, 2021
Tier D • Recommended only for very cheap, iGPU systems
EVGA | W1

Your PSU is a Tier D PSU and it's probably what is causing your issues here.

The RTX 2070 recommended PSU is a GOOD model PSU of 650 Watts or so.
Would I need to upgrade to a silver or gold rated GPU? But even though it’s D rated why would it not supply enough power? The system only takes 400 watts

It is not only wattage but STABLE wattage and voltage.
Your power supply goes out of spec when pushed or temps rise. Way to much ripple on the 12v line. Ripple means the voltage will constantly go from 12v to 11.5v to 12.5 back down to 11.5v, not a stable 12v which the card needs. This happens at the HZ of your country. 60Hz for US 50Hz for UK.
That is why it is in the D tier.
EVGA has good power supplies and crap power supplies. You can not judge a power supply by brand name or posted wattage alone.

Would I need to upgrade to a silver or gold rated GPU? But even though it’s D rated why would it not supply enough power? The system only takes 400 watts

If wattages was the only thing important yes it would have been fine but it's not the case. Your PSU is a very low quality PSU rated to be used in a system without a dedicated GPU.

It could be the GPU being faulty too but I would point the entire thing on that PSU to begin with.

Jan 23, 2021
It is not only wattage but STABLE wattage and voltage.
Your power supply goes out of spec when pushed or temps rise. Way to much ripple on the 12v line. Ripple means the voltage will constantly go from 12v to 11.5v to 12.5 back down to 11.5v, not a stable 12v which the card needs. This happens at the HZ of your country. 60Hz for US 50Hz for UK.
That is why it is in the D tier.
EVGA has good power supplies and crap power supplies. You can not judge a power supply by brand name or posted wattage alone.
Ok thank you very much for explaining this. Is there anything I can do to test this is defiantly the case before I change the PSU? Looks like il just have to re cable manage my PC with the new PSU. I was thinking about this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-PSU-6...pply&qid=1611449011&sprefix=evga+gold+&sr=8-1

You can not know for sure because there is no way except having special equipment to test your PSU. Since it's a bad unit, even if it's not your issue (highly doubt it), you should swap it to keep your system safer and your expensive and hard earned hardware without power issues.

The new PSU you linked is far superior and is a Tier B. For future recommendations follow this Tier list .

Reactions: Unolocogringo
Jan 23, 2021
You can not know for sure because there is no way except having special equipment to test your PSU. Since it's a bad unit, even if it's not your issue (highly doubt it), you should swap it to keep your system safer and your expensive and hard earned hardware without power issues.

The new PSU you linked is far superior and is a Tier B. For future recommendations follow this Tier list .
Update with the new PSU I am still having the same issue and I cannot figure out why. With the 2070 Heaven benchmarks is crashing when running it at 1280 by 720p resolution. It runs stable at the lowest resolution but it looks like the GPU just gives up, the fan just goes quiet and I get no output to the screen. While running R6 I got a blue screen of death with the nvlm driver error message but my drivers are up to date. Help!

Have you run chkdisk on the drive.
It could be corrupted from crashes caused by sudden power outages.
Is your monitor resolution 1280x720p or are you trying to max the cpu and put just a little stress on the video card?
Some boards have compatibility problems with Vengence LPX memory, is that a matched set from one package or 2 sticks from 2 packages?
We have ruled out the power supply.
It was a bad unit that need replacing to protect your other hardware.

Jan 23, 2021
Have you run chkdisk on the drive.
It could be corrupted from crashes caused by sudden power outages.
Is your monitor resolution 1280x720p or are you trying to max the cpu and put just a little stress on the video card?
Some boards have compatibility problems with Vengence LPX memory, is that a matched set from one package or 2 sticks from 2 packages?
We have ruled out the power supply.
It was a bad unit that need replacing to protect your other hardware.
ChkDisk is a good idea I can run that to see if there is anything corrupted. My monitor has a native resolution of 1920 by 1080 but I cannot run the benchmark software at the system resolution it just crashes straight away. My memory is 2 8gb sticks from the same pack and I have run memory diagnostics tool and it found no errors with memory. My memory should be compatible as it’s on the supported list for b450 tommahawk. The cpu is not stressed at all it’s only at 30% use when the benchmark starts and runs. Heaven benchmark almost maxes out GPU as it’s at 100% Utilisation which is normal for a benchmark test. Running a benchmark test by another company however the benchmark failed and gave the error your GPU went into a low power state.