Question When screen blanks after idle, it will not turn back on - how do I fix this?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
So, I am not 100% sure, but I think this issue started when we upgraded my son's GPU from an RX 5700 (MSI Evoke OC) to an RX 6600 XT (Sapphire Nitro+). I do not recall it happening with the older GPU, but don't hold me to that.

If I put the computer in sleep mode, it will come back out of it just fine, but if it's in that stage where the PC is still on, but the screen is blanked after an idle period, it will not come back. Powering the monitor off and back on again doesn't cause the screen to come back up.

I would prefer to NOT have to set the System -> Power & Sleep -> Screen - > "When plugged in, turn off after" setting to Never (it's currently at 10 minutes), though I guess I'll fall back to that if nothing else works.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Try disabling hibernation. For Windows 8.1 through 11 there are a lot of platforms that hibernation and hybrid sleep/fast restart simply do not work properly in.

To disable Hibernation:

The first step is to run the command prompt as administrator. In Windows 10, you can do this by right clicking on the start menu and clicking "Command Prompt (Admin)"
Type in "powercfg.exe /h off" without the quotes and press enter. If you typed it in correctly, the cursor will simply start at a new line asking for new input
Now just exit out of command prompt, restart the system and re-test to see if the problem you were having remains

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Unfortunately, I'd turned hibernation off that way when I first installed the OS on this thing.

BUT, being paranoid, I'll give it another try and see if it "snaps out of it" so to speak. That said, before I did it again today, I noted that there was no hiberfil.sys in the C: drive.

Well, if that doesn't work I think my next step would be doing a clean install of the AMD drivers and use the DDU in safe mode to do so. Even though both cards use the same driver package it sure seems to happen a lot that there are seemingly often problems of various natures after swapping cards out. Might also check to see if there is an updated BIOS version available for the motherboard as well as drivers. What are the hardware specs for this system?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, if that doesn't work I think my next step would be doing a clean install of the AMD drivers and use the DDU in safe mode to do so. Even though both cards use the same driver package it sure seems to happen a lot that there are seemingly often problems of various natures after swapping cards out. Might also check to see if there is an updated BIOS version available for the motherboard as well as drivers. What are the hardware specs for this system?

Well, a quick update. When I had the screen blank out on me, I moved the mouse and it came back, but then I thought "Yeah, I probably should've waited more than 30 seconds."

My GF was using the computer the other day and said it still happened. She does tend to walk away from her session while logged in for extended periods.

I'll have to dig in a bit more to see if I can reproduce it again. But, I've got another strange issue, which I think is probably unrelated, on this machine to try and hash out as well. I'll probably post that sometime later today, or maybe tomorrow, and, if you like, I'll tag you in it.

BIOS is P4.30, though there's a 4.31 beta and a 4.60 beta. Looks like there's a newer chipset driver, came out less than 2 weeks ago, so I'll install that as well.

Behold the parts list for this system.