[SOLVED] When should I replace my 9 year-old HP desktop?

iaengineer

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2012
I've upgraded the drives and graphics card over the years. Machine is an HP h9-1120t with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz. 32 GB of ram. 1 TB SSD. Two hardrives: 14 TB and 4 TB. Graphics card is NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti, which I've considered upgrading depending on answers to this question.

It is working fine, but just wondering if due to its age, it might start having issues?? Or another way to ask - what should be the warning signs that would indicate I should replace it?

Thanks.

Solution
I've upgraded the drives and graphics card over the years. Machine is an HP h9-1120t with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz. 32 GB of ram. 1 TB SSD. Two hardrives: 14 TB and 4 TB. Graphics card is NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti, which I've considered upgrading depending on answers to this question.

It is working fine, but just wondering if due to its age, it might start having issues?? Or another way to ask - what should be the warning signs that would indicate I should replace it?

Thanks.
Blow the dust out of it.
Check your cpu/gpu temps.
Tidy up the storage.

If it does everything you want keep it.

The warning signs may be separating want and need.

MrLitschel

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
As long as it continues to do what you need it to do - Keep it. I've used systems that are 15 years old. Only had to replace them because it couldn't run the latest software at a reasonable speed. Hardware can break at anytime without any warning signs.

Thanks.
Blow the dust out of it.
Check your cpu/gpu temps.
Tidy up the storage.

If it does everything you want keep it.

The warning signs may be separating want and need.

Solution