[SOLVED] When should i swap my OS SSD drive ?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
My OS drive is a Samsung 850 evo 500GB..The warranty covers 150TBW. Right now Samsung Magician reports that 20TB has been written to the drive.

Should i replace the SSD when it reaches 150TB ?

At what TB should i replace the SSD ? Is there a way to calculate it ? If so, how ?

Solution
My OS drive is a Samsung 850 evo 500GB..The warranty covers 150TBW. Right now Samsung Magician reports that 20TB has been written to the drive.

At what TB should i replace the SSD ? Is there a way to calculate it ? If so, how ?
In tests the TBW figures have been shown to be conservative, drives usually last a lot longer than that. I would replace the drive when you need more space and more speed, either will likely be far sooner than the TBW rating.
The TBW rating is the maximum amount of writes that the manufacturer would allow you to still make a claim during the warranty period, whatever that is.

How long have you had the drive? The average person might write 5 or 10 TB per year.

I wouldn't get excited about the number of writes when past warranty. Maybe wonder when you get a lot closer to 150....that might be a decade?

The drive's useful life span isn't known.

Reactions: knowledge2121

USAFRet

Titan

You replace it when it dies.
Or becomes too small for daily use.
Or when you get something faster to replace it, and relegate this one to secondary use.

That date of death could be 10 years from now, or in the next 5 minutes.
The TBW is only for warranty work. Much like "5 years". You don't automagically replace it at 5 years and one day.

In the interim, keep good backups.

Reactions: knowledge2121

In tests the TBW figures have been shown to be conservative, drives usually last a lot longer than that. I would replace the drive when you need more space and more speed, either will likely be far sooner than the TBW rating.

Solution