When should I upgrade my processor, PSU and RAM?

Cottonceed

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015
My current PC specs:
i7-4790 (non-k)
G.Skill Ripjawsx 2x4gb DDR3 RAM
ASUS ROG GTX 1070 Strix 8gb
ASUS Maximus VI Hero
Super Flower Golden Green 600w HX
1x Plextor M6S SSD
1x Seagate 7200rpm SATA HDD
2x NZXT S340 Elite 120mm case fans
NZXT Kraken x62
Asus ROG Swift PG279Q Monitor
Windows 10

I primarily use my rig for gaming and watching videos, sometimes running both concurrently. Basically just an entertainment platform.

Mostly, I play graphics intensive games like The Witcher 3, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Far Cry: Primal, Crysis 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, etc. You get the idea. My setup has no issues maintaining a stable 60ish fps in these games with close to max(game dependent) settings on 1440p.

What concerns me is how long my processor and RAM have left before games become too demanding and require an upgrade to prevent a bottleneck. I understand that the 4790 and Maximus VI Hero are dated components, which is what led me to asking for feedback on how long more you guys think these will last before I will be forced to upgrade.

Any feedback at all is welcome. Thanks in advance!

Solution
For your system Ram is your weakest point. Novadays 8gb is barely enough, it'd be ok if your system was a budget one, but i recommend buying another 8gig. Ddr3 will be fine, game performance is non-existent between ddrs, hell even with mhz. After Ram you only need SSD. Rest of your system is rock solid, although in order to game at maximum capabilities of your monitor you will need another 1070.

fabiodrm

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
its time to upgrade when your setup cant provide your "needs" and stantards.

Today Target:
1440p 60fps
Your Setup can deal with this?
Yes? No need to upgrade

Tomorrow Target:
4K 144fps
Your setup can deal with this?
No? time to upgrade!

Rawr87

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
For your system Ram is your weakest point. Novadays 8gb is barely enough, it'd be ok if your system was a budget one, but i recommend buying another 8gig. Ddr3 will be fine, game performance is non-existent between ddrs, hell even with mhz. After Ram you only need SSD. Rest of your system is rock solid, although in order to game at maximum capabilities of your monitor you will need another 1070.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS