Honorable
Apr 18, 2014
Greetings, my system is 6 years old, I mostly game at 1080p
MB Asus h97 pro gamer
CPU I7 4790K
RAM16gb gskill 1600
GPUmsi gaming x 1070
PSUcorsair rm 750i
Im happy with the current performance I'm considering going to 4k on some games, what should I upgrade first? The cpu is great but only 4 cores is it enough for a few years more? Will my cpu handle a more powerful gpu?

Solution
Faster video card will help you more at higher resolution than a faster CPU. TVs are not great for gaming, their input lag is over much higher than a monitor, but workable if you don't play many twitchy games that need fast reaction times. I'd get a 1440 27" gaming spec screen with your specs, the 1070 should be able to handle that, unless you really want to do 4k on a large screen, then a faster video card. The newer gen cards are coming out pretty soon wait till those are out.
Would've been better if you'd gotten a Z-series mobo. An i7 is 4 cores / 8 threads. Basically equal to a 10th gen i3 or Ryzen 3300x.

You're certainly in the realm where (if budget allows) upgrading the CPU/mobo/RAM wouldn't be a waste.
Depending on what games you're playing, getting decent frame rates at 4k may require a $600+ GPU. Benchmarks from GPU reviews will help with that decision.

Do you have an SSD?

Have you bought a 4k monitor? Which one?
If not, have you considered a 1440p monitor?

tiagocosta90

Honorable
Apr 18, 2014
Would've been better if you'd gotten a Z-series mobo. An i7 is 4 cores / 8 threads. Basically equal to a 10th gen i3 or Ryzen 3300x.

You're certainly in the realm where (if budget allows) upgrading the CPU/mobo/RAM wouldn't be a waste.
Depending on what games you're playing, getting decent frame rates at 4k may require a $600+ GPU. Benchmarks from GPU reviews will help with that decision.

Do you have an SSD?

I have two hdds, I have a Samsung 55"4k TV I think the model is ( samsung ue50tu7005) you think I couldn't run a better gpu on the 4790k? Say could I gain40 50% performance?

tiagocosta90

Honorable
Apr 18, 2014

Do you have an SSD?

I game mostly on the Samsung sync aster s22b300 1080p, 4k is just a consideration, I am just divided between getting a gpu for somewhat better performance or a cpu first for future proofing, I can't get a new display or a 600€ gpu I have children to feed, it's either the cpu+ mobo ram or a new gpu

Faster video card will help you more at higher resolution than a faster CPU. TVs are not great for gaming, their input lag is over much higher than a monitor, but workable if you don't play many twitchy games that need fast reaction times. I'd get a 1440 27" gaming spec screen with your specs, the 1070 should be able to handle that, unless you really want to do 4k on a large screen, then a faster video card. The newer gen cards are coming out pretty soon wait till those are out.

Solution