[SOLVED] when should we change thermal grease

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017
2200G+stock cooler. (stock speeds)

its almost a year now, should i change the thermal paste(current one came per applied with stock cooler)

and is coolermaster master gel a good option or i need to buy expensive ones ?

-CPU temps are just fine they are as they were when i build it a year ago.. under full load temp stays below 75C

Solution
Generally a reasonable application of thermal paste should be changed every 2 years in my experience. If it is liquid metal possibly every 6 months. Factory paste applications like graphics cards or the thermal pad that comes on many coolers are actually good for 3-4 years. If it is an air cooler it should have the dust blown out every 6-8 months or as needed. Liquid AIO coolers are usually fine for a year before you should blow out the radiator and fans. If you are getting hot always try blowing out the heat transfer areas (fins on air coolers, radiator on liquid coolers) first. If problems persist, then change thermal paste.

If, like you said, temps are fine, then don't worry about it.
Whats your CPU?

some people just change them when things starts to get hot, so they can be ignored for year(s) even (me, i know its wrong though). if you're skeptical change every 6 months for good measure...

you only need the top notch greases if your really need to squeeze every C you can, the best one imo, the noctua NH-D15 got me a 4-5C drop in comparison to a random trash ass expired silver based one so... it isnt an otherwordly thing.

Generally a reasonable application of thermal paste should be changed every 2 years in my experience. If it is liquid metal possibly every 6 months. Factory paste applications like graphics cards or the thermal pad that comes on many coolers are actually good for 3-4 years. If it is an air cooler it should have the dust blown out every 6-8 months or as needed. Liquid AIO coolers are usually fine for a year before you should blow out the radiator and fans. If you are getting hot always try blowing out the heat transfer areas (fins on air coolers, radiator on liquid coolers) first. If problems persist, then change thermal paste.

If, like you said, temps are fine, then don't worry about it.

Solution

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017

ryzen3 2200G with stock speed and stock cooler
i dont have issue with temps, when playing games(bf5 for example) temps never cross 75c in summer.
and when doing regular stuff they stay around 30C