When they are testing CPU temperatures in reviews are they looking at average temps or max temps?

K1llrzzZ

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Hi!

I was wondering,when I read a CPU review and reach the part where they test the temperatures they just put a number there like 75C plus the software used to test, but they never say that is that the max temperature or the average? Because CPU temps spike quite a lot, so if you lets say play a game for 2 hours your temps might have spikes way higher then your average temp but that doesn't mean that it was running at that temp for the entire 2 hours. Also should i look at the CPU package temp or the core temps? Thanks!

Solution
K1llrzzZ,

If the reviewer is thorough with attention to detail, ambient temperature will be stated with the test data, as well as number of passes and any applicable conditions. Spikes are normally ignored...

CompuTronix

Intel Master
K1llrzzZ,

If the reviewer is thorough with attention to detail, ambient temperature will be stated with the test data, as well as number of passes and any applicable conditions. Spikes are normally ignored, but may be noted.

"Core" temperatures are typically given as an average of all Cores, while "Package" temperature is the hottest Core. With respect to a hypothetical test duration, values are typically given as "peak" Core temperature, while "peak" Package temperature is sometimes used, which again would be the hottest Core during the entire test.

Also, individual Core temperatures are more revealing than Package temperature.

This might give you a better perspective: Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

CT :sol:

Solution