xerocool83

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Once again I have come to the computer gurus of Tom's Hardware to ask about a problem on the horizon.
My currently computer, which is about 5 years old, is starting to go. I am getting CPU failure messages, extremely long load times and memory test failures. Needless to say I will need a computer here in the next few months. The computer that I own and the computer that I plan to build is/will be used for Gaming (mostly), and some low impact computing (Picture, music, word docs). Now my question is, has there been a release or will there be a release in the next few months, say no more than 6 that is just too damn good to pass up? I have been out of the loop for so long I no longer trust my current tech gouge.

V/R
X
FLYNAVY!

p90m16mp5a4

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Unless you want to get absolute cutting edge, now is a good time to buy. We have cheap graphics cards, cpus, and incredibly cheap ram. This time last year, or maybe a little before you couldn't buy a decent quad core cpu for 200-300$ and ram was twice as expensive and there wasn't a decent midrange gpu.

What's coming up soon will be nVidias next line of GPUS, mid and low end versions of intels new cpus, and probably a host of x48 motherboards. I don't personally think they will shock the very foundation of computing that we're standing on now so I would say go ahead and buy, unless you really want to go all out then wait.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
True to some extent, g100 should shock the foundation, but that's Q3/Q4, and r700 is said to be around 50 percent faster than r600. Nehalem will indeed shock and break the foundation, claims of a performance gap LARGER than what we saw from netburst to core 2? It'll be massive, but that's late 2008 for extreme edition, and q1 for midrange. So up to you, but your rig is ancient like mine, so you might want to just go for it. I'm on a 3.2 prescott, and I'm going insane.

Do you plan to overclock at all? or no? What budget are you trying to work with?

I can put together a list of parts for you with the lowest budget/highest performance possible. Just need your budget, and if you plan to oc or not. Sound card or Onboard? dual card setup or a single? etc.

xerocool83

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Ill probably end up waiting AT LEAST until after taxes. So Ill start saving up now and will hopefully get some money back from taxes.
Thanks for the Help guys