[SOLVED] When to buy a cpu fan?

hoangvip3333

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
I think the only time i should buy a cpu fan is when i want to overclock. But I dont think I want to overclock anyway, so will the intel stock cooler fine? Or I have to get a different one?

Solution
What cpu model?
Generally Intel stock coolers are rather weak performing. For some low TDP cpu models they are sufficient though.
But on higher performance i5 and i7 models Intel stock cooler will perform loud and you'll get rather high cpu temperatures (even without any OC). You' ll want a better cpu cooler then.

CM Hyper 212 Evo is a decent low cost cpu cooler.
http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/hyper-212-evo/
Usually the Intel Stock cooler is fine and will keep your CPU cool.

Why should you still consider buying an aftermarket cooler: An aftermarket cooler often has more/better cooling capabilitys.

There are a few reasons why this could be good: 1. Your CPU stays cool even in hot summers 2. The Fan can be set to a lower RPM and therefore be less noisy then the intel one.

hoangvip3333

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018

How can I know if my CPU spends a lot of time at full load?

What cpu model?
Generally Intel stock coolers are rather weak performing. For some low TDP cpu models they are sufficient though.
But on higher performance i5 and i7 models Intel stock cooler will perform loud and you'll get rather high cpu temperatures (even without any OC). You' ll want a better cpu cooler then.

CM Hyper 212 Evo is a decent low cost cpu cooler.
http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/hyper-212-evo/

Solution

hoangvip3333

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018

I'm using the Pentium G2020 now. But in the future I think I will get a i5 3470

hoangvip3333

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018

I'm thinking of the COOLER MASTER T400I because it's pretty cheap.
Is it good?

Something like HWMonitor or just have task manager open while you do what you normally do with the PC and have a look occationally.

what is it use for? Gaming/video Editing/Web Browsing?

hoangvip3333

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018

Mostly gaming