When to create a new part number -- Inventory Management 301

darrellbunger

Honorable
Sep 23, 2017
I am managing the implementation of an inventory system at a tech company out of Kansas. We have hit several roadblocks where one engineer feels a special part number is required, where another engineer feels that an appropriate material process with good documentation and follow-through is sufficient to prevent excessive numbers of parts to manage in the system.

I'm aware of the F3 rule, ie. does it affect form, fit or function... a good rule but unfortunately does not cover these specific situations. Ultimately we have to choose but looking for experience from other industry workers.

We have a part, call it a rubber shim, that is installed in two places in one of our products. It is literally a shim that keeps an assembly tightly in place. We had two options, create two shim parts - one 3 inches long and the other half that; or just use one shim part and take another 3 inch shim and cut it in half.

For simplicity of inventory management, we went with the option of ordering only the 3 inch part to stock.

The two camps are:
  1. Since we cut the shim in half, it needs a new part number; by necessity, it requires a BOM to accompany the new part number so that the 3 inch piece can be transformed by a process that then turns it into the new part number.
  2. We install the first whole shim as part of the main BOM, and then alter the second shim (same p/n) using an inline process to assemble it in place.
One way discretely manages the fact that we altered the form of part A, creating two part B's.
The other way acknowledges we will never buy or sell part B and does not affect main assembly form fit or function; therefore a trusted inline assembly process converts it to what it needs to be.

Both effectively manage our inventory levels; the first seems unnecessarily complicated while the second could potentially be missing out on finer details.

Views on both sides are welcome, or introduce a new option not mentioned. Whenever possible, please cite references to industry standards and writeups. Fire away!

rgd1101

Don't
Do they stock the 1.5 inch piece or just cut it on the floor? do they keep the other half for the next order?

If they don't stock it. it just a labor step on the whatever to build parent component. and said the it take qty .5 of the 3" piece.

If they do stock it, then a new item#

Ralston18

Titan
In agreement with @rgd1101.

Simplicity.

However, I am curious and have a question:

If the initial 1.5" cut is too long can the piece be trimmed down? I would expect so.

Cutting and trimming time/labor costs?

I would go with just cutting the 3" on the floor and the unused portion becomes scrap. (Or recycle?)

Why:

Depending on QA, jigs, needed tools, worker skill, etc. to ensure that the cut is exactly 1.5" (tolerances?) tossing the unused portion into stock is likely to end up with a bin/barrel of unevenly sized pieces.

Then time is lost scrounging in the pile for an "exact" 1.5" piece.

Also how much does the 3" rubber shim cost? Should be some ROI /trade off consideration included.

TRENDING THREADS