[SOLVED] When to install fresh copy of windows on new build w/ old HD

jayleonis

Honorable
Nov 18, 2018
I have read on here its best to start with a fresh install if windows when building a new pc and using an old HD. My question is should I format and resintall while its currently installed on the old PC? So i basically just plug it into the new motherboard/PC build and it boots up. Or is it best to use the first boot up on the new MB for the fresh windows install.

Solution
You can't delete/uninstall/format the drive with Windows on it while it is still running in its original PC.

Create a Win 10 UISB to boot and install from
You build up the new system
Boot from that USB, and install on the desired drive. Deleting any and all existing partitions on it in the process.

USAFRet

Titan
You can't delete/uninstall/format the drive with Windows on it while it is still running in its original PC.

Create a Win 10 UISB to boot and install from
You build up the new system
Boot from that USB, and install on the desired drive. Deleting any and all existing partitions on it in the process.

Solution

jayleonis

Honorable
Nov 18, 2018

I don’t understand. Why can’t I? I would just format/ install the fresh copy of windows while it’s on my current pc. Then move the hd out and into the new build. I can do that by using the usb boot disk

USAFRet

Titan
I don’t understand. Why can’t I? I would just format/ install the fresh copy of windows while it’s on my current pc. Then move the hd out and into the new build. I can do that by using the usb boot disk
The OS needs to be installed when the drive is in the PC where it will live.
You can't install in System A, then move that drive to System B, your new one.

You can't move it around like that.