when to upgrade pc?

mistamal

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Hello, I was wondering when was the right time to upgrade a pc for it to last as long as possible, considering major software updates like Windows Vista and its DX10, or major hardware updates like 65nm chips.
The thing is if you upgrade your pc now, even if you all of the latest hardware, it still won't be exactly appropriate if you don't buy it at the right time...
Technological advancements come out in cycles, but these cycles don't seem to be synchronised, making it ever so difficult in taking a proper decision.
Anyway, if there isn't a real answer for my question, then maybe I should ask how long is a pc's real lifespan?

zyzplasmaz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
the BEST time to upgrade is JUST when new components comes out 8)
BUT that's also when the components are the most expensive.
you need to trade off when to upgrade and the cost of upgrade so there is no real answer to when to upgrade.
if you have unlimited budget, then sure, upgrade every 3-6months to the latest and greatest.
most normal people upgrade anywhere from 1yr to 3-4yrs and most of them will just get new pcs.
either way, just remember that the price of any component on a pc usually drops by half within a year, wont even be sold anymore or pretty worthless.
it's just how computer technology is and progress is always good.

Maxiius

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
There is no answer to any of your questions.

I going to have to concur w/ proz on this one, & depending on what you use the computer for will often determine lifespans. I still have a p133mhz w/ Windows 95, it browses the net & types up MS word documents. I bought that back in 95', of course it does take an hour to save 1 page in word though :wink:

crazy032

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
Over the years I have built 6 PC's. I find that you get the most bang for your buck (price/value vs. performance) if you buy right below top of the line. I am a gamer, and the only exception I make here is a video card.

cowboytech

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
when to upgrade
1. Its time to upgrade when your machine won't do the next thing you ask of it.

when to replace
2. When it costs more to repair to equal value then replace.

It can get a lot more involved for businesses!

I don't like buying anything the first year out. I like to wait for them to fix the bugs and for the price to come down.

Synergy6

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Upgrade with each DirectX major change.

Actually, no, I upgrade every 3 years or so. But, the way the years have fallen, it basically worked out as DX upgrade anyway. (Geforce 1, then Radeon 9800, and I'm scheduled for a new rig at the end of this year/early 2007.)

I would also say perhaps look at stuff other than the obvious chip/socket changes, which happen pretty often anyway. I look more towards longer term changes (hopefully), such as PCI-E, SATA/SAS hard drives. DDR2/3 memory etc.

Ronaldo38741

someguyy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Over the years I have built 6 PC's. I find that you get the most bang for your buck (price/value vs. performance) if you buy right below top of the line. I am a gamer, and the only exception I make here is a video card.

thats what i do and it works for me

i built my current system (amd 3700 geforce 7800gt) about 2.5 years after i did my first (ati 9800pro amd 3000)

i mostly upgraded for socket 939, extra serial ata ports and PCI-e

HoldenMcGroin

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
... if there isn't a real answer for my question, then maybe I should ask how long is a pc's real lifespan?

There isn't an answer because it is a subjective question. As for a PC's real lifespan, I typically keep a machine around 3-5 years before I get another one. It's not because I don't have the money, it's because I really can't justify the expense when my current computer does everything I need. But that's the answer for me. For you it may be different.

After 3-5 years, I give the machines to family. Usually, it gets another couple of good years.