When touching my DVI port at the back of my case, I get schocked

Aug 23, 2018
When i start a game it usually takes around 5 minutes for my pc to give me a black screen that i can only stop by restarting the pc manually. So i was going to figure out what was wrong. I grabbed my case, but then i got a shock. After furter investigating, i found out that it was my DVI port on my case (the one from the graphics card).

Ofcourse, i should replace the graphics card, but are there any other components that might have been damaged? the pc still boots and as long as i don't game, everything is fine.

When touching any other part of the case (front pannel, io shield) i do not get a shock. So the graphics card is really the problem.

Solution
If that's the case....you have a grounding issue.

The case needs to be grounded.

There are pretty much two main reasons why your case isn't grounded.

The outlet isn't grounded or the power cord is bad.

There are ways to check the outlet. Probably the simplest way for you is to try the machine on another outlet on a different circuit breaker.

Try and plug it in to another outlet in your house far away from the one that your using. If it still shocks you....either that outlet is bad too or the power cord is bad.

If that outlet doesn't shock you....you know it's the first outlet that's the problem.

You can also check the ground on a outlet with a meter.

You can google how to do this.
If you aren't getting shocked from the case....and you are from the DVI port....yes....good chance it's the card.....and good chance your grounds are OK.

....as far as other components being damaged....I think there's a pretty good chance that nothing else is damaged.

It could just be that something failed in the GPU and now it's sending voltage to the DVI port.

Aug 23, 2018

I just picked up my case, and got a shock somewhere from the front. so it is the complete case, what could be the cause of this and is there any way to fix it?

If that's the case....you have a grounding issue.

The case needs to be grounded.

There are pretty much two main reasons why your case isn't grounded.

The outlet isn't grounded or the power cord is bad.

There are ways to check the outlet. Probably the simplest way for you is to try the machine on another outlet on a different circuit breaker.

Try and plug it in to another outlet in your house far away from the one that your using. If it still shocks you....either that outlet is bad too or the power cord is bad.

If that outlet doesn't shock you....you know it's the first outlet that's the problem.

You can also check the ground on a outlet with a meter.

You can google how to do this.

Solution